Weird spot on one of my pods...any idea what it is?

As the title states, I have a pod on my Cayenne with a weird spot towards the end of it.  It started out as an indent in the pepper that was a light yellowish green, now its more brown and almost cork-like.  I'm guessing it got like a scratch or something or maybe bug damage?  Sorry the pic isn't the greatest quality.

945753_10151725839719099_932934377_n.jpg

The resolution of the pic makes it difficult to tell... but it looks like it could be from where a critter tried to nible on it!?   Other common causes of spots include blossom end rot and sun damage as well as fusarium and vertcicillium wilts

Try steadying the camera with both hands and take a clearer pic ;) :P

Also... i just noticed that your soil looks pretty dry... and the leaves are wilted pretty heavily... this can cause many of the problems listed above.  Everyopne preaches about not eover-watering.. but that doesnt mean you should under-water... there is a blance.   Major inconsitencies in water schedule and moisure levels in the soil cause the plant to undergo abnormal operations that result in poorer metabolic activity, which, in-turn, open the doors for pathogens.

BER definitely. I've seen this on a lot of my peppers this year since we just got 2 straight months of rain here in NC. I'd cut the bottom off, split it to see how bad the rot was inside and use it if I could. 

Decided to pick it and slice it open to see what the damage was, aside from the area of the spot itself it looked alright.  Didn't have anything to put it on so I decided to just eat it straight and it was pretty damn good! Can't wait for the healthy ones to ripen!

Back