Welcome, or how I fail at growing peppers and joined this forum to seek help from the pepper people

Hello. I am Nune. I am a Nonbinary digital artist who has joined this community in an attempt to learn more pepper knowledge. I would like to know more because every time I have tried to grow peppers indoors, seedlings died. You can probably understand my pain. If not, here's my specs:

I grow in containers, using Burpee organic potting soil or Back to the Roots organic potting soil. I've tried jars, tic-tac containers, and Planters (as in, the peanut company that made the abomination known as Baby Nut) containers. This setup has worked for micro-dwarf tomatoes, which I like. But it has never worked for peppers. I need to know what would work better. Do I need to switch brands or add something to the soil? If so, let me know, but please have it be organic.

Enough about my relationship with peppers. Outside of plant communities, I draw very cutesy digital art. Here's a sampling.

hiniji.png

Hope to see you in this forsaken world.

Hi Nune, Welcome!

I totally understand your pain. Killing of a seedling is never my intention, yet it keeps happening every so often for whatever reason. Most recently, it was lack of water. 🙈

How do you grow your peppers, is it completely indoors, or do you move them outside at some point? Do you use a grow light or a heating mat? Fertilizer? How much, if at all, do you water them? Do you repot them at a certain stage? Maybe you throw them a look they don't quite like? Peppers can be like that. A pic of your plants might give some more info on why they don't thrive.

Good luck!

Hi Nune, Welcome!

I totally understand your pain. Killing of a seedling is never my intention, yet it keeps happening every so often for whatever reason. Most recently, it was lack of water. 🙈

How do you grow your peppers, is it completely indoors, or do you move them outside at some point? Do you use a grow light or a heating mat? Fertilizer? How much, if at all, do you water them? Do you repot them at a certain stage? Maybe you throw them a look they don't quite like? Peppers can be like that. A pic of your plants might give some more info on why they don't thrive.

Good luck!
Thanks for offering to help! I do not carry any images of plants at the moment, so lemme explain.
- Currently completely indoors
- A grow light, but want to get a heating mat sometime
- No fertilizer
- I water them when they look obviously thirsty
- I start seeds in the container I want them to grow in when adults.
- I have a face full of acne and picked skin, so that's possible. :rolleyes:

@nune It could be a lot of things. Not sure. The grow light might not be sufficient, the pots might be to small still, maybe they are depleted of nutrients with the lack of fertilizer, or just plain bad luck?

Peppers can be very niffy and picky, so it's never your fault. Or that's what I tell myself. (I'm not sure sometimes why I'm even trying, till I succeed in a gorgeous harvest and then all is forgotten and forgiven. 🤗)

I like reading through all the GLOGs (grow logs) on here and picking up bits of new info while doing so.

I'm convinced you'll succeed this season. Have you sowed anything yet?

I like reading through all the GLOGs (grow logs) on here and picking up bits of new info while doing so.

I'm convinced you'll succeed this season. Have you sowed anything yet?
I have not sowed peppers yet this season. I might try and see if pregerminating them works. And thanks for the advice and wishes!

I read over the fact that it were the seedlings that died. They don't need fertilizer in the beginning, so you're right on track there. Might be that the grow light is to close? Or if they get leggy, see my glog. I'm very experienced in leggy seedlings lately. 🤟

:welcome:
from the Pacific NorthWest!

Back