• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Well ...pretty sure I just got hosed ...

Hey everyone,

Its been one of those days, let me tell ya. Ill spare you the rest of the days story and cut to the pepper related part.

My worm bins have been doing great but cant keep up with my over zealous planting. I ended up planting double what I had planned and I have an extensive indoor garden as well to tend to. So Ive been looking into doing some outdoor composting. Ive got the worm thing down but other then being well read on composting I have no actual experience with it.

Upon digging around I found an add on craigslist for compost. $40 for a full yard or $20 for a half yard. The ad said that it is a "professionally managed and maintained compost pile created over a years time from chicken manure, horse manure, wood ash, and rabbit poo."

Well smack my a## and call me sally ... right? Ill grab my trailer and take it to work with me and go pick up a whole trailer full after work! Im growing in pots after all and a trailer full would last me a better part of a year plus give me some to work with on my outdoor areas that I want to build, but havent figured out yet.

I get there and pull the trailer up, the pile was around back of this guys acreage so he goes tearing off in his tractor before I get a chance to ask to see the pile, but I assumed ( <--- you know what they say about that) after a description like that - that all will be well.

So he comes heading back with a load and as hes approaching his border collie brings me a ball and literally sits on its rear, with its paws in the air ... ball in mouth .. trying to get me to play with him. How are you gonna resist that!? Damn dog was putting on a show! So I throw the ball and start turning around to see what the compost looks like... the damn thing practically does a back flip and catches it mid air... bringing it right back to me and sits on his hind end again and repeats the charade.

Of course by that time the guy had emptied the tractor full into my trailer. I looked at it and its filled with dirt. Im in Arizona... Flagstaff... up in the mountains at 7,000' but our dirt is red...and so is this "compost". Long story short ... this doesnt look like any damn compost Ive ever seen.

Now... to be fair, Ive never MADE compost ... only lots and lots of worm castings. I realize worm castings are different but from the pics Ive seen of quality compost Im pretty damn sure this is little more the ammended topsoil. Please correct me if Im wrong but isnt good compost supposed to be black?

Now Im sure all those manures are contained in it, but theres tons of dirt and rocks and even chunks of wood scraps and pieces of hay that are clearly recognizable from the horse manure. Not only that but its extremely dusty ... I mean .. its basically dirt with tilled in horse manure. At least it looks like the beds in my back yard that I tilled horse manure into.

Worst part about it as Im inspecting it the guy starts going on and on about it. He was so damn proud of it I couldnt bare to say otherwise so I just sucked it up and drove down the road. Like I said.. one of those days. You know the kind where its just better for you to not say anything at all? ;)

Then I get home and start hauling my 5 gallon buckets with super hots in them from outside to the garage for the night, they have been hardening off for the last three days or so, and I realize they are covered in white flies already. In THREE days. Grrrrrr.......

So before I go crack open a cold one and kick my shoes off at disgust for the day, I figured Ild check with you compost pros here.

Its crappy compost isnt it?

Looks like crap to me. Again, I admit Ive never made any but it certainly isnt what I expected. Now what am I gonna do with it. lol ... Im half tempted to stick the trailer at the end of my driveway this weekend and put a sign that says free raised garden bed soil (cause I do think it would be good for outdoor use, but DEFINATELY not in my potting soil mix).

Am I mistaken?

Thanks for letting me blow off some steam! Cheers!!!

img4304y.jpg

img4306f.jpg

LOL ... yup .....but before I got all pissy I figured Ild check since in reality.. Ive never made actual compost. Our native soil is very hard clay. So to him yes this is a huge improvement, in the pic that Im holding a handfull you can see how loose and porous it is.. that is nothing like our native clay soil... but its certainly not compost.

I feel like I got tag teamed by a dog and tractor scam artist duo.

Na ... you should have heard the guy. I do really feel he was genuine. He was so proud of it.. after all a full years worth of work went into it. :P Talking about how he turns it over and even took off the outer edges of the pile and put in next years pile so people would only get the "good stuff".

I couldnt bare to say something in the mood I was in ... plus its not like the tractor can get it OUT of the trailer easily lol.

Oh well .. guess Ill go have a beer and watch my white flies. ;)

i dont know man, the pic of the handful looks pretty good to me. it looks like highly processed manure compost, although very dry. but hey its Arizona right? i wouldn't get too discouraged just yet. try moistening it and forming a ball. if its native clay i bet it will hold its shape pretty darn well. if its true compost or high content then it should not hold shape and crumble.

just my .02

Hmmm ... Ill be right back with pics lol. Regardless this just re-affirms to me that I need to become self sufficient and make my own. You know what they say .. if you want something done right.

Either way I dont see it being suitable as a soil ammendment to my promix that I use in pots. No way ... as I mentioned I do think it would be a good addition to someones native soil or to be used in raised beds. Its ten times better then the native clay-hard soil around here but certainly not the black gold I thought I was gonna get. At the end of the day though its my own damn fault ... I just couldnt bare to say anything to the guy he was glowing he was so proud... of course off to the right you have lassy sitting on his rear with his paws in the air ring-a-ling brothers style. lol

throw some in a pot and saturate it. i have no clue about what Arizona dirt, but your story made me laugh. No matter what, its some good fill, mix it with some perlite and triple mix.

Hard to tell from the picture but it doesn't look bad to me. Compost we've acquired and compost we've made ourselves looks a lot like... dirt. Look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compost to see what I'm talking about. Note the first picture.

composting is easy and a great way to reuse waste. i am surrounded by trees so my pile consists of leaf litter, vege kitchen scraps and coffee grounds. this stuff turns to pure goodness in a years time but i also have an uncle who runs the soil yard at a mushroom plant. i can get used mushroom dirt for practically nothing, so why take up yard space and turn by hand 8 yards of compost every few weeks? i dont....

Hmm ... well, its probably just the steam escaping from the rest of the day. I guess I can figure out something to do with it, but Im still short on compost now.

I poured some water on the pile though and it all ran right down the side of the pile leaving the soil/compost underneath as dry as it was before the water rolled over it lol

To get the last squeeze test pic I grabbed a handfull and dunked it in the bucket.

See those chunks in the first pic? Those are clay chunks that need to be picked out and thrown away.

hnmm.... well it looks like sandy fine wood chips and pine needles and about 50 weeks short of a years worth of decomp.

does it smell like dirt or manure?

Smells like dirt. Its filled with rocks and clay chunks ..

Honestly the whole pile seems like the bottom of a compost pile... like he scraped the ground to get the last bit or something and its all mixed into our native soil.. which sucks. Again I traveled out there to get it hoping to use it in my soil mix for containers and I dont think its suitable for that. I guess all probably isnt lost I think it could have some use .. ill just have to figure out what I wanna do with it I guess. Its definately not an indoor soil amendment...

looks like there is some good organic material in there....but I dont know shit about compost.....or shit(manure)...or shit(anything)

LOL ...

Well, it really depends on how you compost. Some techniques use the layering method. You layer some soil then some composting material, more soil, more material and so on. If you really want to know, send a sample out to your local aggy and see what the results are (usually 20-30 bucks) then you can know what's in it for sure.

That looks so much better than the soil I have here. To me it looks decent enough.

I agree... for outdoor use. Its not up to snuff enough for using in my containers though.

However, I placed a wanted add on CL last night for rabbit poo and just got a call from a lady that has 450 rabbits! lol ... She says I can come get it by the truckload and that she wont the local fair last year for biggest zucchini.

So looks like I found my source of organic matter ;)

Rabbit poo is phenominal and is the only manure that can be used straight without burning.

It will still get a good several months of composting though, since I mix up the soil mix for my pots way in advance and ammend it, then water it down with a ACT and let it set for at least a month or two.

I really scored there ... and shes game for having me come out on a regular basis (of course) and take what I want.

The one time I used rabbit poo on my indoor plants I had the best harvest Ive ever had. Its straight magic.

Thanks again for all the input guys. Ill probably shovel this all in a pile in my yard somewhere until I figure out what to do with it.

i dont know man, the pic of the handful looks pretty good to me. it looks like highly processed manure compost, although very dry. but hey its Arizona right? i wouldn't get too discouraged just yet. try moistening it and forming a ball. if its native clay i bet it will hold its shape pretty darn well. if its true compost or high content then it should not hold shape and crumble.just my .02
+1 here, It does seem to be high on organic stuff and fluffy and all - how's it smell? Nevermind, at least you scored nicely on the rabbit shit 8-) Did you really use it fresh in the past in pots? Like still moist rabbit poo? Thanks AL

Back