• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

well that didn't go very far at all...lol

Pepper-Guru

Extreme Member
It seems there are MANY people getting flower drop and I really want to know whats going on here. Most say temps, and that may be true for some but I don't see it as the true "answer" and I think there is much more at play here than most think. If the poll will allow me to continue to add questions, I think we can get to the bottom of this together! Please contribute. The numbers will always tell the truth! :)

poll closed.....pointless

It seems there are MANY people getting flower drop and I really want to know whats going on here. Most say temps, and that may be true for some but I don't see it as the true "answer" and I think there is much more at play here than most think. If the poll will allow me to continue to add questions, I think we can get to the bottom of this together! Please contribute. The numbers will always tell the truth! :)

Waiting for willard... :lol:

Waiting for willard... :lol:
Well I just found out that when editing the poll it will allow me to add questions, but won't let me answer the new ones....bummer

Whos the forum admin? I wanna see if they can modify the poll settings so that newly posted questions can be answered by people who have already answered the old ones...otherwise this thread will go NO WHERE!

i am curious as to the cause as well, just to know as at my apt in San Diego,ca we have only had 2 days this year above 80! so i have experinecd flower drop 2 times once was over watering(fixed) the other is recent where the new growth and flowers are dropping but all the peppers and leaves are looking just fine. thought is was mites but went OCD and look over the entire plant with a magnifying glass and nothing. so the only thing i can think of is the plant is at max pepper capacity and cannot support new growth till the peppers ripen.

Eric

i am curious as to the cause as well, just to know as at my apt in San Diego,ca we have only had 2 days this year above 80! so i have experinecd flower drop 2 times once was over watering(fixed) the other is recent where the new growth and flowers are dropping but all the peppers and leaves are looking just fine. thought is was mites but went OCD and look over the entire plant with a magnifying glass and nothing. so the only thing i can think of is the plant is at max pepper capacity and cannot support new growth till the peppers ripen.

Eric
Yeah. I mean I don't want to upset anyone who is set in their ways, but when people like myself never get flower drop with temps above 90F AND people whos temps aren't even in the 80's are getting flower drop, then saying its temps is CRAZY :crazy:

I remember seeing that list quite frequently :)

I think the list mentions flower drop at temps >97 F. I've never had mature plants fail to set pods, but I've never seen temps higher than 97F for any significant duration. Mid 90s and below is fine.
Willards famous list:

Reasons for flower drop

1. Day temp too high, over 95F
2. Night temp too low, under 65F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects[not really needed for chiles]
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention.

With a list like that...everyone should have flower drop! I think its much simpler than all this.

Well I just found out that when editing the poll it will allow me to add questions, but won't let me answer the new ones....bummer

Whos the forum admin? I wanna see if they can modify the poll settings so that newly posted questions can be answered by people who have already answered the old ones...otherwise this thread will go NO WHERE!

Anyone?

When they're ready they will turn on in their own time, in the mean time just keep them happy. I'm growing 500 superhots this season and I've learn that they all have their own personality. Give them what they need and try not to push too hard…they will reward you!!

I have a couple of plants that always have flower drop. The temps, soil, water, etc are all spot on as the plants has hundreds of ripening pods. The only thing I can think of is the plant just has too many flowers to sustain additional growth so the flowers are aborted by the plant. The plant will produce a huge amount of pods all at once and as they grow abort a lot of flowers. However once those pods rippen and are harvested the flower drops almost always stop until I have another large batch of pods. The cycle has been the same for the last 2 months.

I answered "optimal" for soil ph because I had to pick something, but I don't have a clue what my ph is. I just add what I think is good to my soil and the plants grow and produce pretty well. Maybe add a "not sure" option.

The admin would be this guy :)

thehotpepper.com

I'll have to postpone my poll until I figure out my root zone temp.
Yeah, see why I said the settings will have to be changed for this to work? lol I contacted THP, so I hope he graces us with his presence in this poll.

Listen, this flower drop thing. In my time growing, the only times I have had flower drop is during some type of shock or change in conditions. As I have said before, I see flower drop only when I have disturbed the plant some how. Like when transplanting (potting up/down), or after a really heavy feeding. It has never been one of those things that happens often, or that I really worry about. There are things that plants do, when they are reacting to their environment. Sometimes they are saying no, and sometimes they are saying yes. The real key is when you become "one" with your plants and know what to worry about and what not to.

Out of this thread, all I hope to achieve is the fact that temps aren't attributed to flower drop unless the root zone is being affected. I have seen peoples containers on here reaching temps of near 100F and beyond! That is not natural in the ground and therefore it is no wonder why your plant is "saying no". Go to the F'n Sahara desert, stick a thermometer in the ground(where plants are). Not even there, will the ground be that hot. A little look and observation of simple nature will tell you things about soil conductivity and resistivity / how that buffers the surface environment a great deal in order to allow plants to grow and thrive. Bottom line ... get right with your plants and think. They will tell you what is going on.

I'm with ya Guru. I don't really ever have flower drop. Hell, I have had plants set pods when the night time temps get below freezing and day highs are in the mid 40's.

I'm sure there is more than one reason for flower drop; however, here in LOS (Land of Smiles) temperature is the main cause for me (I grow chinense) and other growers of the Thai annums.
I say this because after the heat moderates the flower drop stops, IME.
Minus the heat flower drop is sporadic and not of concern to me. Cheers. :beer:

I'm sure there is more than one reason for flower drop; however, here in LOS (Land of Smiles) temperature is the main cause for me (I grow chinense) and other growers of the Thai annums.
I say this because after the heat moderates the flower drop stops, IME.
Minus the heat flower drop is sporadic and not of concern to me. Cheers. :beer:
At what temps? In containers?

I do experience the occasional flower drop, but usually on either really fast growing plants (too small of a pot = shock) or too sensitive plants on the open sun (it may reach over 115F on some days and most plants don't like it much). putting them in the shade and/or re-potting them ALWAYS solves the problem for me. I give my plants good nutritional meals and the weather is mostly perfect when you know how to handle the plants.

Back