• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Well, time to start growing some basil.

Interesting study !

It remind me guy (can't remember whom) who did research on plant on a murder scene (not sure it was a murder) : he put sensors on the plants who were in the room during the crime. Then some people (supposed suspicious) went into the room. The plants didn't react until the "murderer" went in it. Like they recognized the guy (who was then found guilty, but of course not on the plants testimony ...).

I've to Google that thing again.

Nice, I have a 36 burpee tray full of basil. I did both purple petra and italian large leaf. I'm gona plant about half on a friend's garden and keep some to put around my peppers.

20130429_002114.jpg

, Vegas

Wow cool! The possibility of aural perception in plants is pretty exciting. Old knowledge it's good to talk to your plants lol. Feel and pheromones play a pretty obvious role with plants. I had only recently heard of trees emitting sound in drought conditions.

http://m.phys.org/news/2013-04-cavitation-noise-trees.html

I think we underestimate a good number of the organisms around us.

Ditto on never too late..... herbs do indeed grow like weeds. In two to three weeks, they'll be ready for cooking

True, I basically potted up the herbs put em on the back porch and forgot about em. Yet they thrive. I'm really considering putting all my thai and reg basil in the plot after reading this. Thanks for the info ghost, and nice avatar.

My neighbor works at a nursery and just gave me 8 basil plants. Wasnt sure what i was going to do with them. Now I know. They will be going in with the peppers. :D

Old school gardeners have long lauded the positive effects of basil on tomatoes. I guess physical observation has a little science to back it up now.

Interesting study !

It remind me guy (can't remember whom) who did research on plant on a murder scene (not sure it was a murder) : he put sensors on the plants who were in the room during the crime. Then some people (supposed suspicious) went into the room. The plants didn't react until the "murderer" went in it. Like they recognized the guy (who was then found guilty, but of course not on the plants testimony ...).

I've to Google that thing again.

Interesting

I bought a packet of basil seeds, $1.99 for 1/2 gram, which is probably 100+ seeds. I direct sowed a few pinches around my peppers and as soon as I wrangle up some starter cells I will do a few starts that way too.

It always amazes me how much cheaper seeds are than buying things in the grocery. 100 plants worth of organic basil is an easy $200 at the store. Plus, at the end of the season, the plants will make a couple thousand seeds for me to plant next year. Farming is awesome.

This past Tuesday morning I purchased 4 full grown basil plants at my local Trader Joe's just for insect control in my garden. Now I'm going to have to think about using them in my sprouting room.

what are some other good neighbors besides basil?

http://www.companion...nionPlants.html

I know lovage and marigolds are both good from personal experience.

edit: Another list that includes peppers in the chart

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companion_plants

I think some of this is based on old knowledge, which, to me, means that some of it will be based on generations of real experience and observation (great) and some of it will be based purely on circumstance (Martha grows the BEST tomatoes! You know what her secret is?). :)

Back