event Westport Blues Views and BBQ Festival

We returned to Westport for our 4th entry in the Westport Blues Views and BBQ Festival. 4 years and a trophy each of the 4 years! I will let the pics to the talking. But a couple of things to note. First, crappy iPhone pics. We were so rushed during the turn in times that there was not time for pulling out the nice camera and staging the shot. Second, we were so bummed after everything was turned in. We rushed our chicken, the ribs (didn't get a pic of the ribs unfortunately) came out great, the chef's choice looked great, and the presentation on the dessert looked like crap. While we didn't get top 3 in any of the individual categories, we had consistently good food and placed in the top 5 in every category which netted us the 2nd best overall combined score. The team that took first place won best chicken, ribs, and chef's choice. Those guys and gal killed it. Hats off to them.

Now for some pics...

The cook site right on the Saugatuck River that flows into the Long Island Sound
cooksite_zps55c6b2aa.jpg

Chicken
c3129722-203f-4ac1-b486-34a0225eede3_zps0a415cd5.jpg

Chef's Choice - Pulled pork, bacon, onion jam, and cheddar garnished with red and yellow tomatoes, chives, sour cream and more bacon!
f0d6de87-c107-46d9-a4de-ce01190ffa35_zps162525c3.jpg

Dessert - Crushed chocolate graham crackers, a free form cheesecake with a raspberry coulee, and topped with melted chocolate and a sprig of mint
dessert_zps0851cc7c.jpg

Reserve Champ Trophy
reservechamp_zps8ed7b26e.jpg

And a group shot of all the hardware we won over 4 years at this event
alltrophy_zps492f4a5f.jpg

texas blues said:
Congratulations!

That chef's choice looks gorgeous!
Thanks man. The combo inside the queso was my buddy's idea. I did the plating and garnish. This thing tasted awesome!

HopsNBarley said:
Lookin good!
I'm liking the Chefs Choice.
Chicken is right as well. I bet it was good.
We won 1st place chicken our 1st and 2nd year competing. I think we could of had 1st this year but our grill was acting up and we didn't get this skin as crispy as we like. These thighs were a little smaller than usual as well. But as for taste, they rock. I have made this chicken outside of the comp for several BBQ parties and it is always a hit.

HopsNBarley said:
Nice trophies as well! 
Is that a WSM is see in the background?
Lol you hit on the main reason why I love winning at this event. Of the 22 or so teams that compete you will see WSM, Green Eggs, and even a few custom tow-behind pits. But all we use is a 22" Weber Kettle, an el cheapo Brinkman that cost $35, and my friend's $40 Home Depot style kettle grill. We modified the Brinkman and Home Depot special so the air flows better and added nice temp gauges.

BUT, the WSM is a great rig and I see one in my future.

Back