What about this fertlizer?

Hello,

I´d like to feed my pepper plants a bit, but I´m a novice so decided I´ll ask before I do anything stupid. My substrate is mostly peat, according to the manufacturer, the Ph is between 5,5 and 7.

Here are the characteristics of the fert I have: N 4%, P 6 %, K 7,5 %, Mg 1 %. I´m thinking about feeding every other week with a half strenght solution. Is that appropriate? Except of this, I plan to use a Ca fert for foliar feeding every other week. Do I need something else? More Mg for example?

Thanks for the help and best wishes!

I´d like to feed my pepper plants a bit, but I´m a novice so decided I´ll ask before I do anything stupid. My substrate is mostly peat, according to the manufacturer, the Ph is between 5,5 and 7.

Have you tested the pH of your medium? The range quoted seems a bit wide given a goal of a pH of around 6.5.

Here are the characteristics of the fert I have: N 4%, P 6 %, K 7,5 %, Mg 1 %. I´m thinking about feeding every other week with a half strenght solution. Is that appropriate? Except of this, I plan to use a Ca fert for foliar feeding every other week. Do I need something else? More Mg for example?

The Magnesium content of 1% in that fertiliser will probably be adequate without the need for more.

Does the label list the components that make up the fertiliser?

Thanks for the reply, Harry!

I was thinking about buying something to measure the pH, but since most of the plants seem happy, I postponed that (I still want to do it before transplanting the plants to bigger pots).

Well, the lable doesn´t specify the exact form of the N (just says. from 4%, 2 are in the form of a substance containing NO[sub]3[/sub], 0.25 in a substance containing ammonia, 1.75% in a form of an amidic substance), other substances in the fert are - 6% P as P[sub]2[/sub]O[sub]5[/sub], 7.5% K as K[sub]2[/sub]O, Mg as MgO , 0.1% Fe as Fe DTPA, 0.5% Mn as Mn EDTA, 0.026% Zn as Zn EDTA, 0.042% Be, 0.0063% Cu as Cu EDTA and thiamine. The Ca fertilizer contains 7.8 oz of CaO and 0.14 oz of B in 0,26 gallons.

What about the dosing for chilli plants? Would a half strength solution every other week from both ferts be enough?

If your plants are doing fine then don't fertilize them. You should only fertilize a plant if it is showing that it needs it. But, if you want to feed a healthy plant you should give it a top dressing of compost. I've never burned a plant with compost.

Alan

Back