• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

organic What about this is not organic?

I just purchased a quart of Southern AG Kelp Green:

http://www.amazon.co...uct/B00A52OS4M/

The Label States:

Derived from Seaweed (Ascophyllum nodsum) and fish tankage (Menhaden Fish)

The front label states, "ORGANIC BASED PLANT FOOD," however, I found this warning on the back label:

"Not for use in organic crop and food prodcution in California."

What don't the California authorities like about this? Why don't they consider this to be organic?

I would suggest you call the company and ask them, or California's agriculture department.

You should know that California has many regulations geared towards the general health of their crops. In fact, they may be the only state with border crossing checks to ensure plants and other things are not brought in that might harm their crops. So it may not be that there is anything "non-organic" about it, but possibly some circumstance exists that makes it undesirable there. For example, they have a huge concern about fruit flies, and generally ban anything that might bring fruit flies into the state. Could simply be that this product attracts fruit flies (or some other pest), not that they don't consider it organic.

some of the fish ferts lost their certifications a couple of years ago due to the water used to process them having too much non-organic material- that would be my guess.

unless you are going for usda certification i personally would not worry about it.

It does not say OMRI anyywhere on the label.

I'm not going for USDA certification, I'm was just very curious about the warning.

Now that I am reading the thread, I am also curious about the need for the warning. Are some companies required by law to state, ""Not for use in organic crop and food prodcution in California," on their products, if they don't meed the CA organic standards? Why else would they waste the space and money to print the text?

The warning is there because a "certified organic" farmer in California could pick up a drum of the stuff, use it, and end up losing their "certified organic" status for up to seven years (I think).

The company is just doing a little "CYA" so that they don't ruin some farmer's operation and find themselves at the wrong end of a lawsuit.

"Certified Organic" is a joke in my opinion... but that is a soapbox I will stay off of today.

Anytime something say's "Organic Based",the key word being "based" means that it most likely contains some sort of chelating salts in it.

You see California is the home of some of the most paranoid people in the land. If something can cause cancer, even if you have to ingest six tons of it over a period of five years, they're going to either ban it or make the producer post warnings. It's getting pretty bad. Car and motorcycle manufacturers have to build different exhaust systems for their vehicles to be "California" legal. Heck the case my handgun came in has a label that reads it's illegal to own in Cali.

Hey California!

Cartman_Hippies.jpg

:dance:

I kid, I kid :cheers:

It's true gps. ;) You stay out there too long and it starts working its way into you. I know, I've been there. After a month vacation I found myself kum ba yahing with a group of flower children in a redwood forest one night. Bad trip man, bad trip.

I would suggest you call the company and ask them, or California's agriculture department.

In fact, they may be the only state with border crossing checks to ensure plants and other things are not brought in that might harm their crops.

Florida too, sticklers they are!

It's true gps. ;) You stay out there too long and it starts working its way into you. I know, I've been there. After a month vacation I found myself kum ba yahing with a group of flower children in a redwood forest one night. Bad trip man, bad trip.
LOL! I lived out there for four years, and that was plenty. Like I said, it's the only state in the union where there's a border check between states (that I know of, at least, as I don't recall any border checks when I've driven to Florida), and I had to pay a $600 tax just to bring my car into the state, because it didn't have all of "their" equipment on it (never mind it beat their standards by a huge percent.) So no, I don't look at anything that has a "Not CA Approved" label on it as being anything worth worrying about since I no longer live there.

Wow... Really?

To be honest, California is mostly just like the rest of the US, except for one thing, Industry. Last I heard California alone, has the 8th largest economy in the world.
When all that money comes in to play, POLITICS is right there following it. Don't blame Over-regulation on the on the people, blame it on the Corporations pushing false ideals that give them the edge over other corporations... Including the government(the biggest corporation of them all).

People don't associate California with rednecks, however California is responsible for more agriculture than any other state. We aren't all yuppies, trust me.

Back on topic
I doubt their is anyone here on THP that can gauge how organic a product really is.
You dont know if anything is truly "ORGANIC" unless you make it your self. Weather or not you decide on using a organic product is going to be a decision you will have to make for your self, or one that has been made for you by clever marketing ;) "ABC"

California is an "interesting" place. One of my co-workers was driving there and as soon as he crossed the state line, he ran into some sort of local Border Control who searched his car for any fruits that he may have been "illegally" importing into the state. I remember a FB post showing a warning at a California Starbucks that the coffee products could cause cancer.

California is an "interesting" place. One of my co-workers was driving there and as soon as he crossed the state line, he ran into some sort of local Border Control who searched his car for any fruits that he may have been "illegally" importing into the state. I remember a FB post showing a warning at a California Starbucks that the coffee products could cause cancer.

That's two different phenomena. The ag checkpoints are there because of the VERY real concern about pests and diseases being imported into the state with produce, and fouling up our extremely large agricultural industry---this is not a paranoia thing, they really do periodically find incursions of some serious ag pests (longtime Californians can still be made to scream in fear if you sneak up behind them and whisper "MEDFLIES!" in their ears).

The extreme cancer warnings, separate car emissions requirements, and so on are because we, well, have a whole lot of regulations. Most of them are promulgated by ballot measure, so they're at least popular enough to stay in place, even if some (like the cancer warning labels) are widely felt to be over the top. There's some paranoia, there's some over-regulation, but in my considerable experience of the place, there's a rough consensus that those problems are an acceptable price for the advantages that come with them.

And in parts of the state we can grow peppers all year round, so there!

-NT

Back