What Am I Growing??

I placed 1 jalapeno seed in each small tray and a week later I had a series of plants sprout that I thought were Jalapeno.  They are just now getting their first true leaf and it looks like a cucumber plant.  I also have the same plant sprout up in my raised bed.  I germinated these seeds in my own soil and homemade compost mixture.  I did grow cukes last year and was going to skip them this year.  I've had bad luck in the past with Jalapenos and peppers, and thought I would give them another try this year.    Can you guys confirm these are not jalapenos.  It's weird that only 1 plant sprouted in each tray and that's how many seeds I planted.    I'm so bummed. 

100_3695_zpsa4c3722d.jpg

100_3694_zps9b653b1f.jpg

What about getting jalapeno starts from a local nursery?

since those are not peppers for sure.

may i suggest adding some perlite to that good looking soil also.

If those turn out to be Jalapenos, save me some of them gnarly seeds ;)

I agree with getting some starts from a nursery, although it may not be too late to start some yourself if you would like me to send you some seeds no charge.  Annuums grow pretty fast.  I started some annuums about a week ago that are already up and enjoying the sunshine.  PM if you're interested.

The cucumber from last year left a seed in your compost. Then your Jala didn't set and now you have a cucumber?

Thats what I am getting, because NO WAY could you mix up a seed like that and a pepper seed.

Do you have a picture of the seeds? Cucumber seeds and pepper seeds look a lot different. :) Seed Savers is usually pretty good and you should contact them if they sent you a bunch of cucumber seeds. 

Back