• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum What are hottest variety of jalapenos?

I grew Biker Billy last year, but the Big Guy jalapenos (Burpee) were consistently hotter, not to mention twice the size.

I never tried the muncho nacho, maybe this year...

I've found a LOT of the Hybrids CAN be pretty hot at times,BUT are always the same,a lot of times.
A lot of Hybrids were developed for the market.
Most,I THINK are developed for Production #'s per plant,looks ,flesh thickness or whatever.
I don't like market Jalapenos in general.
I bought a TON of GREAT looking jalapeno's. in markets that sucked-BIG time!
Most didn't have all I want in a Jalapeno.

I'd go with Landrace stuff from the place of origin in general.

Several Vendors specialize in Jalapeno Landrace stuff.

Way better tasting and SOME have a WAY more heat etc.
They most times have everything you'd want in a Jalapeno.
You just have to go to the right Vendor.
I forget who it is,but every time Jalapenos come up in a post.1 person is always mentioned.
Try a site search maybe.

PS.I see the same thing going on with Serrano Peppers...
Also don't confuse MACHO with Macho Nacho.
One isn't a Jalapeno. 

Everyone tells other storys, it depends very much on the growing conditions. People told me "Jalapeno M" would not be very hot, mine had a really nice heat just a bit under "Cayenne peppers".

This year i try "craigs grande", because i heard some rumors that they should be very hot, if not the hottest.

Jalapenos are not like "habaneros" or other peppers, that have a steady heat, they always vary alot. Here in germany the people didnt like the "biker bills", they always tell that they have low heat and that they are not very prolific. I think we just dont have the perfect growing conditions here: too low temperatures and a short summer.

Im trying a jalapeno cross this year and hope that will push and stabilize the heat :-)

Zackorz said:
Everyone tells other storys, it depends very much on the growing conditions. People told me "Jalapeno M" would not be very hot, mine had a really nice heat just a bit under "Cayenne peppers".

This year i try "craigs grande", because i heard some rumors that they should be very hot, if not the hottest.

Jalapenos are not like "habaneros" or other peppers, that have a steady heat, they always vary alot. Here in germany the people didnt like the "biker bills", they always tell that they have low heat and that they are not very prolific. I think we just dont have the perfect growing conditions here: too low temperatures and a short summer.

Im trying a jalapeno cross this year and hope that will push and stabilize the heat :-)
I hope the best for you with your crossing project! It sure would be nice, if you can keep that jalapeño taste, but get some good amount of heat from the other parent.

The hottest ones I grew were the Billy Bikers a few years ago. Hottest jalapeno variety I've grown and easily my favorite.

I second what Willard said.  We have a Mexican stand at the local flea market and they have boxes of Xalapas that they ship in from Mexico.  They are very large and ripe red.  They are also the hottest jalapenos I have ever tasted - including Biker Billy which I have grown.

Last year my cracked Japs from PL were plenty hot. I supply a local business and they agreed. In PL's  words "[SIZE=12pt]The Spanish suffix -eño signifies that the noun originates in the place modified by the suffix, Jalapeños are the most popular and used type of hot peppers produced in Mexico and United States. This particular variety came from Jalapa city; the home, origin, and national capital of Jalapeños". [/SIZE]

WichitaChief said:
Last year my cracked Japs from PL were plenty hot. I supply a local business and they agreed. In PL's  words "[SIZE=12pt]The Spanish suffix -eño signifies that the noun originates in the place modified by the suffix, Jalapeños are the most popular and used type of hot peppers produced in Mexico and United States. This particular variety came from Jalapa city; the home, origin, and national capital of Jalapeños". [/SIZE]
Hey hey KS!

WichitaChief said:

The city is actually Xalapa and is in Vera Cruz. They are, properly, Xalapeños.

WichitaChief said:
Last year my cracked Japs from PL were plenty hot. I supply a local business and they agreed. In PL's  words "The Spanish suffix -eño signifies that the noun originates in the place modified by the suffix, Jalapeños are the most popular and used type of hot peppers produced in Mexico and United States. This particular variety came from Jalapa city; the home, origin, and national capital of Jalapeños".

I'm going to need to get some of those from pl. What businesses do you sell them to?

I have a couple of farmers markets who usually want any extras I have.  I try to trade for tomatoes since I don't seem to be able to grow them well and we make boatloads of salsa. There are people who make salsa commercially who run short at times also.  

Back