• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What are my plants telling me? Please help

Hello everyone. I wont freakout too much, but I am wondering if I can get some help from the people who would know more. I have grown habaneros before, a while back but out in a garden. I am growing all of my peppers in global buckets this year, and so far until the past couple days they have been doing okay. It seems that on some there is a slight discoloration, but if i remember correctly the scotch bonnets were kind of a brighter yellow leaf from day 1 when they arrived. It seems that some of the ends of leaves are drying up and curling. Almost all of the top leaves look well. the savinas dont seem to be doing bad at all, but i know there could be something going on and they are just a bit stronger ( i know so, as they were looking amazing right out of the box! ) What gets me is that the kung pao's and takanatsumes seem to be non affected.

This leads me to think that just maybe it is a watering issue, yet how.. im not really for sure. too much, to little, I dont know...

To tell everyone what I have been using and done so there are hopefully no stones left unturned from the beginning, here is what I have.

I am using 5 gallon and 2 gallon buckets for the global bucket setup.

I am using a mix of canadian sphagnum peat moss, and Schultz's enriched garden soil. This is a 50/50 mix.

When mixing the soil in a 30 gallon tub, I also used 3 1/2 cups (1 1/2 total ) of Jobes Tomato and vegetable organic granular fertilzer. To give you an idea how how little i used to be safe considering i cold not overly tell what was all in the schultz soil, the instructions on the jobes fertilizer states you should use a 1/2 cup per 5 gallons in a container pot. I used 1 1/2 cups for 30 gallons.

I mixed the soil, shoveled some in the buckets, then soaked a bit with water, and put more in. Besides that, the plants were watered from the top the first and second day in the buckets, and topped off in the bottom. I would not say that I soaked the plants from the top at all by any means.

Now.. On to the pictures. Keep in mind the soil mix was used for every plant, i took pictures of all too see any consistency. One of the mustard habaneros seems to be wilting bad during the day, but in the morning it seemed to be better, but when i came home this evening it was just as bad as yesterday. They should only be getting around 6-7 hours of light and then be in the shade where they are currently sitting.

Devils Tongue

IMG_0835.jpg

Scotch Bonnet #1

IMG_0836.jpg

Mustard hab #1

IMG_0837.jpg

Red Savina #1
IMG_0838.jpg

Mustard #2 - The problem child.
IMG_0839.jpg

Red Savina #2
IMG_0840.jpg

Scotch #2
IMG_0841.jpg

The Kung Pao/ Takanatsume group shot.

IMG_0842.jpg

Close up

IMG_0843.jpg

Everything looks fine my man. Just a little leaf burn on the tips due to them touching the soil/bark when wet and then getting lots of sun. The mustard just looks like it needs to harden off a bit more. My plants did that a week or so this year too. Guess that Sun is STRONG this year. More importantly, is that fresh pine mulch? If so, then you may deal with ph issues for a while, but peppers like it a little acidic so maybe you won't experience any issues :)

Thank you very much mr guru. You know, you just sort of confirmed my own theory about the sunlight. I went through and looked at them all, looking for a pattern and guess what. All the leaves that are getting that symptom are the ones facing the sunny side underneath the patio. All the plants should be getting adequate sunlight, but it might jsut be the hotter side. I may just rotate them and see how it happens.

The mulch i used is cedar, as I had heard that the pine is bad, i was worried about using too much acidic ingredients. I know the Kung Pao's and Takanatsumes are thirsty, so its time for them to get a drink!

At this point this year, i have been seemingly fighting such an uphill battle growing peppers ( had over 100 seeds all FAIL from mold, bough them from that one pepper guy, not blaming him but damn, bad luck). I spent the 50-60 to get a dozen plants to me from Cross Country nurseries and I do not want to lose on my investment! haha. Thanks for the help again.

I have already had to pinch buds off and they have not even been in their new homes a full week.

yup!. I made my own global bucket systems.

I used 5 gal buckets and 2 gal buckets. The pvc pipes are the watering pipes.

The inside bucket in which the plant lives has holes like a cheese grater drilled in the bottom, a hole for the water pipe to go into the lower bucket, and a large hole cut in the middle that houses a used plastic folgers coffee can that is cross drilled all the way up so that the plant is watered from the bottom. The holes provide the aeration and drainage. On the outside bucket, drainage holes are drilled a half inch to inch and a half deep to provide overflow and air inlet/outlet. So.. theoretically, they cannot be overwatered.

Will do, I have a glog going. I ended up giving them a drink as they looked like they needed it, and then took the two wilted/tired looking ones and set them aside to where they wont get too much direct sun tomorrow while i am at work. Reading up and seeing waht information some have linked to me, I am thinking that there may be a little bit of a calcium/magnesium thing going on if anything.

"The mulch i used is cedar, as I had heard that the pine is bad, i was worried about using too much acidic ingredients"

Cedar should not be used. Pine is the best bark to use. I even use it as a grow medium.

081.jpg
082.jpg

Fact is your soil is too acidic. 50% peatmoss. Peat is a ph of 4.5. I have planted plants in peatmoss and that is just what they looked like. You need to not use peat to cut your soil as it just holds too mch water and those soils already have too much peat. You should replant those in Miracle Gro Potting mix in smaller 1 gal pots.
Another tip. Those pots are too big for small plants. A bigger pot is NOT better.

Found out the info I was looking for on the granular organic fertilizer I used in the potting mix in low quantities. Here is the link

http://www.easygardener.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=223

It has a 2-7-4 mix

I think i will be making a trip to menards for the fish fertilizer, and see what else they have.

I did a very rudimentary soil PH test earlier this week with some left over of the mix I made.

I used baking soda and water, and cold hear some slight fizzing, so i know it is acidic. Granted, this was not a vinegar + baking soda reaction, but you could hear the fizzing slightly. Might use just a teeny bit of dolomite lime, and shop for some cal mag type of stuff for later in the season.

Back