• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What are some good tasting ornamental varieties?

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:
what'd I miss tonight ? 
♂️ Apparently some more lame malarkey???.....or Matt has a horse with a leg injury in WI. Lol.
aid4966050-v4-728px-Treat-Lameness-in-Horses-Step-1.jpg

:rofl:

Malarky said:
Lol the wrong post got deleted.
I was soliciting advice on what ornamental varieties are tasty, if any?
I grew a Hawaiian frutescens this year but its taking forever to ripen and I didnt get all the color changes I thought I would.
Are Black Pearl or Bolivian rainbow ok fresh or powdered?

Malarky - I edited the title for you.  :)

1. Fish pepper.  Beautiful variegated foliage and peppers that ripen to a deep red.  Tasty and mid range heat - serrano or a bit above I would say.  I love this plant and grow it every year.

2. Maui Purple.  Dark veined foliage and pencil thin 2-3" upright pods that start green, then go dark purple almost black then ripen to red.  I usually use them in powder or flake for pizza shaking. 

3. Goats Weed (aka black cobra).  Growing them out for the 1st time this year from seed that Hogleg sent me.  Very unique 3-4' tall plants with light green leaves that appear lighter due to them being frosted with tiny white hairs - very similar to a pube!  Pods are borne in clusters facing upright starting green then glossy black then dark red when ripe.  Hotter than a cayenne imo, but not much flavor aside from a bit of bitterness.  I imagine they would be good for drying but I'm going to match them with some sweet bells and make a Lousiana style test batch. 

SmokenFire said:

Malarky - I edited the title for you.  :)

1. Fish pepper.  Beautiful variegated foliage and peppers that ripen to a deep red.  Tasty and mid range heat - serrano or a bit above I would say.  I love this plant and grow it every year.

2. Maui Purple.  Dark veined foliage and pencil thin 2-3" upright pods that start green, then go dark purple almost black then ripen to red.  I usually use them in powder or flake for pizza shaking. 

3. Goats Weed (aka black cobra).  Growing them out for the 1st time this year from seed that Hogleg sent me.  Very unique 3-4' tall plants with light green leaves that appear lighter due to them being frosted with tiny white hairs - very similar to a pube!  Pods are borne in clusters facing upright starting green then glossy black then dark red when ripe.  Hotter than a cayenne imo, but not much flavor aside from a bit of bitterness.  I imagine they would be good for drying but I'm going to match them with some sweet bells and make a Lousiana style test batch. 

Yes...the Fish Pepper. THSC has an orange one right now...
Orange-Fish-68.jpg

https://thehippyseedcompany.com/product/orange-fish-pepper/

I'd try it...!

I also grew Hogleg's Goat's Weed and I'll agree! Nice, fuzzy plant, but Hogleg's strain is particularly leggy. My first use was stir fry. Hot-ass Szechuan. Lol.

I wonder what they crossed the original fish pepper with to achieve the orange one.  pods on the orange one are maybe 3x the size of the pods on a normal fish pepper..

Kinda pretty sure I'll have to grow that too now....

;)

I find all of the purple foliage plants to be somewhat ornamental, some more than others
my wife likes the purple flowers and the fuzzy leaves of pubescens 
some plants more than others are considered ornamental because they are pretty, but the pods are mostly just seeds and not much pepper flesh
also some taste better than others to me
everyone interprets what they think taste good individually and lots of people disagree as to whats the best tasting

some people like to make ristras and hang them for their ornamental value as well as use the pods 

Are you looking for something as a main focal point in a flowerbed that you can also use the peppers from ?
Are you looking for something that stays small without much training and would be an attractive little desk plant that you occasionally would eat peppers from ?
what 'ornamental' qualities are you specifically looking for ?

:cheers: 

Count Dracula is pretty cool, they dont get very big or produce a ton for me, but ive never taken that good of care of them.
I had a guy that loved the peppers off of them. He worked at the gas station up the street. They seem kinda like a pretty hot jalapeno

Not really ornamental, but if you like wilds....speaking of tiny pods like Chiltepins....Cumari Verdadiera is a fuzzy Praetermissum with beautiful purple flowers. Crazy productive. I started this late...in like June and it's still in a 5 inch pot...I'm hoping for ripe pods any day.
Should be yellow
b8BiR8Q.jpg

FywsmVK.jpg

EDIT: Stay tuned to my posts....I'll be having a giveaway of this Cumari Verdadiera once they ripen....! ⏳⏰⌛

Back