• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

breeding What are the results of cross pollination?

I haven't found much information about what happens when cross pollination occurs. Let's say that a couple of really different looking peppers with totally different characteristics were crossed. Perhaps a very long cyan with medium heat and a very dark looking pepper with serious heat.

Would the seeds for both produce the same, or would the cyan seeds produce one that looked like a cyan but very hot? Would the dark pepper produce seed that were longer peppers and lighter in color? Do progressive generations become a different pepper?

Does anyone have any links to articles about it?

The seeds from the cross will produce a hybrid pepper plant with traits from both parents. It depends on which traits are dominant or recessive. It is hard to say exactly what it will be like unless someone has done it before. It shouldn't make much difference which one is the mother plant and which one is the father.

index.php

Good info! :)

rainbowberry said:
I know this doesnt answer your question but here is a bit on crossing chillis.

here

Thanks a million, rainbowberry. That's definitely some of the information I was looking for. The chart showing breeding likelihood is perfect.

The instructions for manual pollination are very good also.

Thanks again!

wordwiz said:
A monk, named Greg Mendel has quite a bit of info on plant genetics! Mike

Mike, I don't know if you're ready for this, but Greg M died in 1884.

hehe

I hope you're not upset...

I didn't even know he was sick!

I heard about the guy who was able to clone his pet hampster. Unfortunately, it died in 1990... and 1993, and 1997 and 2002 and ....:P

Mike

Back