• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What are these leaves trying to tell me?

Out of my 24 chile plants 6 of them have a few leaves on each plant that look like this.

Any ideas?

Should I pluck them off the plant? (I have been)

1339605116.jpg

1339605115.jpg

1339605094.jpg

1339605093.jpg

1339605092.jpg

1339605091.jpg

1339605096.jpg

Not sure if its from insects, heat, dry, etc.

Thanks for the feedback!

Burning on the ends of leaves typically means fert burn. You been feeding them? Other causes are sunburn from water pooled up at the tip magnifying the suns rays.

To me it looks like the affected leaves are those that are coming in contact with the mulch which could be causing it either due to the type of mulch or just the contact with the soil causing water\fert damage (ie. look at the last pic and the burn goes along the same edge as the mulch piece lying under it.)

Uh huh you know all the leaves that it happened to are the bottom leaves closes to the mulch. Other than that I use fish fertilizer once a week for the first 3 weeks when I transplanted them. In the 2 weeks they have been transplanted I have only watered them maybe 3 times. I only water in the early morning and I try not to get the leaves wet. I'm going to google Fert Burn and see what that really means and how to prevent this.

Thanks for the diagnosis everyone!!!!

As pepper guru said it is simply where the leaves are coming into contact with either the mulch or the pots themselves causing a 'burning' of the leaves. I had a similar issue last season, I had never experienced it on any of my other plants over the years and so was naturally worried about it like you are when I first saw it.

Strong winds can also cause similar issues/damage on leaves

Well thanks I'm very much relieved after reading all of you're comments about this. Just one question.

Is it better to take that leaves off if they are in that state or should I just leave them on the plant?

Got that here also.
in ground (dirt-no firt) and in "upside down pepper planter" (potting soil mix, added oyster shell and coffee grounds)

Lots of wind in the high desert, all plants outside, morning and afternoon sun, sub irrigated.
I leave them on until limp.

Back