• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite What are your favorite low heat peppers?

Aji Fantasy: Very sweet pepper with a very mild burn.

Brazilian Starfish: Another sweet and mild Baccatum. Some pods can have a flavor that is a little bit berry-like.

Malih-Helow: Starts off sweet then gets a little more tangy while you chew it. Slightly hotter than the first two.

I prefer these three over Jalapenos for eating fresh as they are sweeter and they don't have that "grassy" taste that I get a lot with Jalapenos. 

BlackFatalii said:

Brazilian Starfish: Another sweet and mild Baccatum. Some pods can have a flavor that is a little bit berry-like.

Malih-Helow: Starts off sweet then gets a little more tangy while you chew it. Slightly hotter than the first two.

I prefer these three over Jalapenos for eating fresh as they are sweeter and they don't have that "grassy" taste that I get a lot with Jalapenos. 
Those sound very tasty, I'll have to grow some in the future.

backyardpepper said:
I've noticed a lot of people grow "Aji" varieties, what does Aji even mean?

in spanish according to google it means chili pepper. most fall into the baccatum family though there are a few chinense. Med heat peppers and almost all extremely tasty. 

D3monic said:
Champion (baccatum) super tasty
Aji omni color
Bolsa de dulce
Aji Amarillo
criolla sella
serrano

BlackFatalii said:

Where can I buy these Aji seeds?

Judy doesn't charge shipping, and always throws in free bonus varieties too. CPI also doesn't charge extra shipping. Buckeye only charges like $1- $2 shipping, and they also throw in freebies with their orders. 

I am a blue cheese popper fanatic.  Cream cheese too, but love the mold.  So things like habs are fairly mild because to stuff them with cheese I cut out the seeds and placenta.  Even without frying them, I love the combination of flavors.  So I am going with Red. Savina even though most folk would not consider them mild.  In the real mild department, I love purple bells. 

Mike turned me on to the CGN 21500. Although people at my work don't consider it low heat.

Man that has quickly become my favorite to just pop.

After that starfish. I will throw lemon drop in there too but that might be too much for some as well.

Yet to try an omnicolor but that is the next.

I've recently changed my favorite pepper to the Zimbabwe bird. Small container type with good yields. Great taste with a short heat.

Datil is one of my favorites.  Sweet and citrusy with a habaneroish burn.  Great to cook with.  I don't generally eat them raw but they are good in a salad.

My top 2 are the Bishops Crown and the Brazilian Starfish. I will be adding a few others to my grow list next year in the Aji family of peppers.

Back