• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What are your thoughts on hardening off?

What are your thoughts on hardening off plants?I potted my peppers up from 4"pots to one gallon pots and left them on the patio. They have been indoors since I germinated them but it only gets down into the low 50's at night and 70's during the day.Do you think hardening off my peppers is necessary when temps are so mild? 

Proud Marine Dad said:
What are your thoughts on hardening off plants?I potted my peppers up from 4"pots to one gallon pots and left them on the patio. They have been indoors since I germinated them but it only gets down into the low 50's at night and 70's during the day.Do you think hardening off my peppers is necessary when temps are so mild? 

Hardening off has more to do with wind and sun than temps.

Mx beat me to it. I will say find a spot that gets some morning sun, then shade for the rest of the day and bring your plants in at night. Do that for about a week.

With my plants, I sorta rushed half of them and ended up with some burnt leaves. The second half I have been taking my sweet time, almost two weeks now, but only because the temperature has been fluctuating a lot. This lot seems to be doing much much better.

Yea, slowly ramp up the direct sunlight hours over the course of maybe a week.  Start by leaving them out near sunset/rise for an hour.  Then add AM and/or PM sun, either moving them mid-day or positioning them the shade of a tree, etc.

Apart from the sunlight, warmth, and overall increase in metabolism, windy and/or hot days will increase the plants' water and nutritional needs, possibly narrowing the zone between over-watering and wilt or edge burn.  The roots may need a while to catch up to the leaves' increased demands.

A strong wind can cause damage!  About 1/2 of my plants lost a bunch of old/lower leaves when a front came through about 2 weeks ago. These were the plants Impending Bending gave me in February. They were Hydo grown and had led a pampered life, so it's not surprising that the older leaves weren't too robust.   The plants are sprouting new growth and look fine, but the leaf loss probably set them back a week or two.

(My more recent soil-started plants have been outside since germination and have proven to be much more robust in all respects.)

Back