• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What Baccatum is this..?

Have no clue what these are other than baccatum.

The pods starts out dark green then turns orange suddenly in a couple days, altogether takes about a month/6weeks to get orange after flower goes to pod. Should I leave them on the plant longer, will they turn another color eventually..?

Taste real good, sweet and citrus with a fast but semi short heat.

Got 3 of these plants, pods are hot like a fatalii, maybe a little less, and taste similar to my yellow aji limo.

Attachments

• 170221.jpg
    170221.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 94
I think it's the small Amarillo pheno.  Not as common but you can still get the seeds at Tradewinds or Artisan.  

Thanks for the replies.

My biggest pod might be 3". But the plants are smallish about 30" tall, in #4 fabric pots. About 4 months old. Plants seem especially hearty and seem to be more resistant to most of my normal pests.

So its maybe the small Amarillo phenol..?

The Aji Amarillo I have grown have grown up
to five to seven feet tall, so it may be a separate
sub species or something.

This is really hard to determine without the backstory.  All of this is merely speculation.  

Doesn't look like aji amarillo.  I mean, it's hard to say from just one pod, but if that's typical amongst many, then it's definitely no aji amarillo.

This

"The pods starts out dark green then turns orange suddenly in a couple days"

Is NOT the SOP of Aji Amarillo. The Amarillos I have grown do not ripen suddenly or in a couple days, rather it is a long agonizing frost-susceptible ripening process that, though well worth it, can take over a month to finish. I still have Amarillos ripening on the vine that started turning in late October.

There are many similar, though, some that even use the name Amarillo....it's a color, afterall...

Mystery solved.  No idea.  Orange something.  :rofl:

Harry_Dangler said:
This is really hard to determine without the backstory.  All of this is merely speculation.  

Well, I can give a little backstory ...
Got the seeds out of this pod I was given to taste, thats what the nibble holes are from. pod was about same size as pic in op. Seed viability was almost 100% and seedlings took off great right from the get go. Started in organic seed starter outside and transferred to a peat/perlite/worm casting/org Dr Earth fert/eggshells based mix in fabric pots. Sprayed regularly with neem, bottom water mostly, and very sparsely fertilized with organic liquid fert 10-3-6...

post-15502-0-69860300-1561915926.jpg

stettoman said:
This

"The pods starts out dark green then turns orange suddenly in a couple days"

Is NOT the SOP of Aji Amarillo. The Amarillos I have grown do not ripen suddenly or in a couple days, rather it is a long agonizing frost-susceptible ripening process that, though well worth it, can take over a month to finish. I still have Amarillos ripening on the vine that started turning in late October.

There are many similar, though, some that even use the name Amarillo....it's a color, afterall...
Let me try and be more specific than my above quote...
They turn from flower to pod and are dark green as in my below pic. They stay dark green(unlike my SRP)  just growing bigger. The orange pod in first post of thread stayed dark green for over a month, probably closer to 6 weeks, then 1 day saw a little orange on the pod. Within a couple/few days it was all orange.

DontPanic said:
It looks somewhat like a Sugar Rush Peach.
Well, got what are suppose to be SPR also. The red circled pods are from a SRP plant next to, and on a hanging branch behind the orange pod plant. Can't see it in the pic but the SRP are mostly all longer/thicker, about 3-4"L x 1"W with a bent creased look, pointy tail on many.

The SRP I have(about 6 plants from seed) all have light green almost translucent pods to start with that turn slowly and consistently to lighter and lighter pale green over months till they are a pale yellowish/peach color.  I've left them on the plant for months waiting for them to turn more peachy, a long agonizing unproductive wait for most of them. The ones circled in the pic have probably been on the plant for 2+ months.
   They seem to stay hard forever and have a very citusy sweet flavor with little heat to me. My SRP pods heat builds slow and leaves quickly. My early Jala are hotter to me for sure. But the this strain of my SRP do have a very nice low heat baccitum flavor imo.

Not sure if this info will help at all....

Attachments

• orangepodplant.jpg
    orangepodplant.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 70
solid7 said:
Doesn't look like aji amarillo.  I mean, it's hard to say from just one pod, but if that's typical amongst many, then it's definitely no aji amarillo.
Well, thats a cop out, anyone can say what its not, Typical PNW...lol,, come on, what is it then...? If anyone should know, it should be you, the guy that taught me how to grow in sFL...

The 3 pods so far that have turned orange, all look like the first pic in original post.

acs1 said:
Well, thats a cop out, anyone can say what its not

My favorite math instructor of all time once told me - "when we're trying to prove a thing, what's NOT is often more important than WHAT IS". :D

Back