• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting What color LED light should I used for my seedlings?

I bought an LED light with option of white, red and blue, or red/white/blue same time. What should I use for seedlings? Its one of those gooseneck LED lights I got for 30 bucks on Amazon. Thanks!

This is a matter of some debate.

Personally, I prefer using fairly normal white LEDs. I want to enjoy my plants as aesthetic objects, and having true colors washed away by magenta bums me out. Even assuming the marketed benefits, I’ll just use 10% more white lighting, or whatever, and get the same results. And my photos will look better. 😉
Now this is regarding my hot pepper seedlings. You recommend just white lights?

I see you already have a light which is capable of different mixes of light and are wondering which to use. I would use whatever setting is “full on”, probably the one with white, blue, and red all active. You have to spend quite a bit before too much indoor light becomes an issue, so generally, use everything you can.

My advice to use white light is just my general preference, based on the desire to see my plants without tinted lighting.

I usually just keep both on. In the past, I've started with blue, then added red when they're big enough for fruit. Haven't seen much difference either way.

My mass starter setup is just full-spectrum white.
Full spectrum is more natural and better. If you give UV for the very beginning they are already harnessed for real sun or bigger lights. They don't accidentally die that easily. Dimmable full spectrum LED panel is the best choice imo. But I'm too lazy. I use them under cheap 4000K white leds. Then I use full spectrum lights but I need to start at 30% power or they may day because the UV is a bit strong.

My starters have these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YLQRJSQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$15 USD each in bulk, worked well for last couple years. I don't know if they're "truly" full-spectrum but seem close enough.

I'm adding those to my wish list for future expansion on the winter grow area, thanks for sharing!

^
Sorry 😐 I didn't see ur post. Curse mobile! My starters are regular flood lights I use four 10W in parallel. The good think is that if they break a new led board with integrated driver cost couple dollars or less.

Last edited:
Regular screw in LED light bulbs that can be bought at Walmart, Dollarama, Costco, and even many corner convenience stores work very well. A mix of (mostly) daylight and (some) warm white work great. No hood or reflector is necessary. Just be sure to pop off the plastic diffuser covers for more directional light and extra lumens. For peppers, they need to be kept at least 18" away from the plants if using multiple 100 watt equivalent bulbs (12 to 15 real Watts). The much cheaper 60 Watt equivalent bulbs work fine though and can be kept a little closer.

Back