• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

issue What disease is this?!

Hi everyone, i have a problem that noone so far have been able to identify. My chilie plants (and bell peppers) all have the same issue. As you can see on the attached pic their leaves get brown/white spots, mainly on top. The leaves then turn yellow, and in the end fall off. The bottom leaves go first. Tve plant seems to be fighting this, and does sprout new leaves, but it seems kt is slowly loosing the fight. Any tips on what this could be?

Attachments

• 20210628_174334.jpg
    20210628_174334.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 127
Solution
Hahahammertime said:
to be completely honest, i dont remember, it was a soil made for vegetables/herbs though.

OK.  Looking at your picture, I'd lean toward that being more of an environment thing that a pathogen thing. The soil in the picture looked a bit heavy for use in containers (it's hard to tell from a picture though), which lead me to think that the issue may be related to the growing media.  Some soils that do great in gardens or raised beds will compact in containers and then the roots end up wet and/or not breathing well with these types of results.  You definitely want a soil in containers that feels more springy/fluffy versus hard or crumbly.
I had something different but similar in some ways already this summer. Turned leaves yellow, with browning edges, spots ranging from brown to white, and moving from bottom to top. I'll attach pic, not the same but similar to what you describe.

Not enough time to diagnose, but my guess was mold or bacteria. I removed all infected leaves on a dry day and treated with organic copper soap fungicide. Plant is more or less over it and setting pods now, although a bit leggy where it already dropped the infected leaves down lower.

Just my .02. Good luck

20210612_094148.jpg

Hahahammertime said:
to be completely honest, i dont remember, it was a soil made for vegetables/herbs though.

OK.  Looking at your picture, I'd lean toward that being more of an environment thing that a pathogen thing. The soil in the picture looked a bit heavy for use in containers (it's hard to tell from a picture though), which lead me to think that the issue may be related to the growing media.  Some soils that do great in gardens or raised beds will compact in containers and then the roots end up wet and/or not breathing well with these types of results.  You definitely want a soil in containers that feels more springy/fluffy versus hard or crumbly.

Solution
CaneDog said:

Yea, I was thinking the same thing CD - see pic below. While we know pepper plants can be grown successfully in soil and pots there are drawbacks. Like you - I always push a fluffy potting media to prevent soil compaction of root area and the issues this causes.

arrow.jpg

Hahahammertime said:
Aha, thank you so much, i will try to repot them in a different soil, might kill them, but they are definetly dying right now, so it cabt be much worse!

I found this which may be helpful:

What’s the Difference? Garden Soil vs. Potting Soil

Additionally, there is soilless media, often called "potting mix".

Which Potting Mix is Right for You?

As there are different soils & mixes I just differentiate the two as soil, like the stuff in your garden, and media, which is anything that is soilless.

Hope this helps!

Back