• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting What do I do with this ferment?!

Howdy guys!

I harvested a buttload of peppers from our plants this year before the freeze, and decided to start fermenting them. What you see here is two half-gallon jars of peppers, but I have no earthly idea of what to do with the contents.

I've filled them with Pakistani Green Chili peppers, a few garlic cloves, some black peppercorns and cardamom pods, and of course 5% brine. They've been sitting for about 2 weeks now (pictured is what they looked like on day 1).

What do I do with this stuff?

4L0gAbp.jpg

I think they would probably work well as a nice pickled pepper relish if you threw a handful in the food processor. Obviously taste and adjust seasoning as needed but as long as they don't mold you should be golden.

I fermented a puree of peppers this season and turned it into a fermented powder. While I had hoped to use it as a seasoning, the ferment added a strange but not entirely unpleasant dry-sourness to the powder that is hard to describe. Not the bright citric acid sour or even vinegar sour but something different. I am still searching for a good application for it but it might be worthwhile to try if you find yourself with excess. 

edax's relish idea is a good one.  You could also put those jars in the fridge and fish them out for accompaniments to salads and sandwiches for the next few months, or you could pour out both jars into a large pot and make a nice hot sauce with them.  If storage space is an issue you could dry them in a low oven (reserve the brine for pickles!) then jar or grind them into powders.  

so many ways to save the harvest.

Back