• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

flavor What do Scarlet Lanterns taste like?

One of my mystery seeds from Peppermania seems to be growing up into a Scarlet Lantern (photo attached). I know they're supposed to be one of the moderate-heat _chinense_ forms, but I don't know what kind of flavor to expect; the only comment I could find was "fruity undertones", which isn't terribly clear. (What kind of fruit? Raspberry, apple, durian...?)

Can anyone comment with a little more specificity? Do they have the "smoky" or "musky" flavor of a habanero, for instance?

Thanks in advance

-NT

8135551078_ae64d8bb90_z.jpg

Mmm, I would say a citrus flavor and bite very familiar like the Chupetinha/Biquinho and Peito de Moca. Also low in heat, crunchy pods.

Im not sure that plant is what you think it is.
You may want to ask Beth what she thinks.

They do look like very nice peppers! Let us know how you like em!

:cool:
Kevin

You think? I certainly could be wrong, but I was looking through her catalog to find it, and when my eye hit the Scarlet Lantern photo I immediately said "There it is!" Could be something not currently catalogued on the web site, too.

I'll let it go a while and ping Beth if it doesn't declare itself more clearly as the pods develop. They seem to be ripening fast, so I have high hopes that they'll beat the weather.

-NT

They do look like very nice peppers! Let us know how you like em!

:cool:
Kevin

They do look like the Scarlet Lantern, although it could be a Aji Cajamarca as well seeing the pods are thicker then the Scarlet Lantern I had growing here.

IMAG1951.jpg

Those are both(scarlet lantern, Cajamarca) just different names for different pod types(and/or collection sites) of Aji Limo. She also sells the commercially grown (in Peru) Aji Limo Rojo, which is like the "Scarlet Lantern" but larger and probably slightly different in flavor. So it would be perfectly acceptable to call it an Aji Limo, whether it is Scarlet Lantern, Cajamarca, or Aji Limo Rojo cv.

Those are both(scarlet lantern, Cajamarca) just different names for different pod types(and/or collection sites) of Aji Limo. She also sells the commercially grown (in Peru) Aji Limo Rojo, which is like the "Scarlet Lantern" but larger and probably slightly different in flavor. So it would be perfectly acceptable to call it an Aji Limo, whether it is Scarlet Lantern, Cajamarca, or Aji Limo Rojo cv.

That's great news, because I grew the "rojo" version for the first time this year and was blown away by it. Tasty peppers with a good heat level for cooking with, robust productive plant, and really pretty pods to boot. If the SL is a variation on the same theme, I think I can expect good things.

-NT

Back