• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests What Do You All Do About Bugs?

Mash 'em. Neem oil. Got a raised deck? They mostly leave me alone five or six feet up in the air.

This place used to be pretty lively. I quit growing for a couple years, come back and it's like a ghost town.

Add leafhoppers to the list. I kept seeing them on my plants, didn't know what they were, if they were good or bad. I took a pic of one and put it in Google Lens, they told me what it was.

Meh. Watch the plants, not the bugs. There are always going to be a few. Take gentle measures if you like, but I probably wouldn't do anything much unless the plants appeared to be suffering. If everything's still green and growing, maybe wait a while, see if the predators come around. It's early in the season yet.

Last edited:
Meh. Watch the plants, not the bugs. There are always going to a few. Take gentle measures if you like, but I probably wouldn't do anything much unless the plants appeared to be suffering. If everything's still green and growing, maybe wait a while, see if the predators come around. It's early in the season yet.
I couldn't really see the leaf hoppers doing much, they hang out on the stems, mostly. Caterpillars were causing some pretty bad damage on my young plants. I sprayed them with BT the other day, haven't seen any since.

Back