• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What do you do in the off season?

Only a few more months and it will be fall and all the nice flowers and growth around the yard will dwindle off into the boring fall/winter season.
Am I the only one who is depressed when there is nothing to grow during that period of the year? :mope:

Nothing to grow?

Heh.

Some people like taking a break from growing. Other people just change their focus, and grow different things. Could be you start focusing on some indoor plants - possibly overwintering your peppers, start new ones from seed extra-early, or turn your attention to non-peppers. Many herbs will grow indoors, as well as orchids, etc. No need to get depressed - find an alternate.

Sic - It would be nice if the entire country had weather like that!

i wasnt speaking nothing about the weather. anywheres in this country you can grow year round.. also he could start raising meat birds in the winter? or rabbits? stuff you can do on small plots. a green house in the coldest weather if heated right goes all year. anyways,what im trying to say is dont quit dont have a off season! thats all please dont beat me geeme :drooling:

he lives in san fran,,,,how cold does it even get there?

i wasnt speaking nothing about the weather. anywheres in this country you can grow year round.. also he could start raising meat birds in the winter? or rabbits? stuff you can do on small plots. a green house in the coldest weather if heated right goes all year. anyways,what im trying to say is dont quit dont have a off season! thats all please dont beat me geeme :drooling:

"The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in San Francisco." - This quote has been attributed to Mark Twain

This is really my first year of growing and taking it serious but I am loving it. I can't suggest anything to your topic since due to my newness but I can say I am having so much fun this year that I am getting ready for the off season here already. I decided I wanna try and do my peppers and garden (non hots) in an organic fashion. I have started a compost pile in a container this past week. I also went to the library and got out some books that I am reading to learn more about gardening and turning organic. I requested a catalog from a seed company today too (parkseed.com.) I figure during the off season I will be building a couple to a few new raised beds for next year, I might research and try to start some seeds indoors around the first of the year too. I can say I am pretty psyched though this gardening thing is becoming a lot of fun. I hope you find a lot of exciting things to do in your garden too carvin!!

LOL, sic. That's what I was saying, basically the same thing. You can keep growing, just what you grow and possibly how you go about it will likely change. San Fran doesn't tend to get as cold as it does here (coldest while I've been here was -28F), and doesn't tend to have the feet of snow we have, but i CAN snow there.

My son started potatoes in pots in the fall last year. He blew it by leaving them out one time when it got too cold, but could have kept them going if he'd brought the pots inside.

i kinda enjoy the "change of seasons" and a break from all the yard work. hopefully this year if Florida decides to re-open snook season for the fall, i'll head down to Fort Myers and visit the inlaws. if not in FL i'll be fishing here at home, its a year round sport for me.

I am about 30 miles southeast of SF and it gets in the 40's in the winter normally with an occasional 30 some nights.
Not real cold compared to those of you in the Midwest and East Coast but cold enough that there's not a lot to do garden wise that time of year.
That is when I normally revert back to plastic model building until early spring.

there you go,you got something to do!

"The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in San Francisco." - This quote has been attributed to Mark Twain
that doesnt count,lol.

i kinda enjoy the "change of seasons" and a break from all the yard work. hopefully this year if Florida decides to re-open snook season for the fall, i'll head down to Fort Myers and visit the inlaws. if not in FL i'll be fishing here at home, its a year round sport for me.
my father in law lives there,hit me uphen youre there ill buy you a beer

This is my first proper year of growing anything hotter than habs, Its the middle of winter I started my seeds just as winter kicked in, admittably winter down here usually doesn't get to bad i think the coldest its been so far is about 4 degrees Celcius.

I can say I'm definately excited for spring to come knocking I'm just a little lost on what I'm going to do with a radiculous ammount of super hots lol :D

Only a few more months and it will be fall and all the nice flowers and growth around the yard will dwindle off into the boring fall/winter season.
Am I the only one who is depressed when there is nothing to grow during that period of the year? :mope:

Grow them through the off system with my 400watt hps light and start seedlings ! :D

This is my first proper year of growing anything hotter than habs, Its the middle of winter I started my seeds just as winter kicked in, admittably winter down here usually doesn't get to bad i think the coldest its been so far is about 4 degrees Celcius.

I can say I'm definately excited for spring to come knocking I'm just a little lost on what I'm going to do with a radiculous ammount of super hots lol :D

Same as me, what off season? get them going under lights & get a head start on next year.

Anyone anywhere can be growing peppers all year round, its just the fruiting season thats once a year but growing is an all year round event as far as im concerned.

Ive just sown another 350 seedlings last week (mid winter) on top of the thousand or so from earlier in the year.

Mezo.

off season?? whats that. I live in canada, and can still find time to garden in my closet :)
i even can overwinter in my window sills, although not the greatest. You can definately keep things going inside all winter.

Back