• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What do you guys do with Aji Crystals??

I have like a million of these things growing ... they're growing like weeds. No idea what to use them for. Anyone have ideas, aside from salsa?

I like them green, fresh in salads. never tried roasting some, but should be pretty damn awesome. try candy them maybe.

Try looking up "candied peppers" or "candied habaneros" on this site - RichardK and DaQatz both posted easy candy recipes. I tried RichardK's method, and liked it, and know others have liked DaQ's method.

I was kind of wondering the same thing... I've just been throwing them into whatever. Nice flavor works with a lot of things.

Hmm... wonder if you can make Aji Crystal poppers...

Cut them lengthwise, then dip them in egg, then in flour, then throw them into a hot frying pan. When done throw them over some paper towels to help dry them up. Salt to taste.

You can use the above recipe for dehydrated peppers also, you just have to rehydrate them (boiling then draining) before beginning the recipe.

I know aji amarillo's freeze well, i imagine the aji crystals would too.

I'm so glad i picked those out to grow next year btw. 2012 is going to be an experimental year where i figure out my favorite baccatum varieties, hoping to grow at least a dozen different kinds with preference to the larger ones.

I know a lot of you are familiar with this pepper but I thought I would give my read. The pepper is more sensitive than other peppers to PH. I like that. When the tops turn yellow I lower the PH for all my plants. The other thing is they will stop producing with too much nitrogen before my other peppers.

The peppers themselves tasted bitter in the yellow stage. Everyone recommended them yellow so I just decided you guys were crazy. Then, on a whim, I made a popper with them. It was delicious. The bitter cooks out and the citrus flavor with cheese and bacon was strange and good. I liken it to the first time you have vietnamese and you aren't expecting to taste anise and mint in a soup but you like it anyway. My opinion is that in the yellow stage they should be cooked.

Without a doubt when they turn red is when they shine. The flavor is deep rich and fruity. Not citrusy but sooo good.

I know I am going against the grain on my recommendations but it was my experience and I hope it helps others who find the ajis bitter.

Back