• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

heat What do you guys think is the hottest pepper is?

I agree with the theory that any given pepper can be hotter than any other at any given time.
It depends on growing conditions etc.

Also most if not all the super hot strains or varieties these days haven't been grown out in isolation long enough to even been declared a new strain or variety.
These days anything that rates high in heat gets tested and declared a new worlds hottest even if it is unstable and it's seeds do not grow the same plant.
A lot of seed vendors want their seed variety to sell for high prices and most could care less if the plant is 1 of a kind or if the seeds grow true.
Pod.Sauce and seed sales are what matters to too many people these days.
If their seeds , pods or sauce sales rake in the bucks that's all that matters.

Check out the auctions on this site alone,lots of $ for a few seeds or pods is being spent by bidders.
$120 in a failed raffle for maybe a pound or so max. of pods...
A fool and their $ will soon be parted...
$.50 a seed + isn't uncommon plus high shipping rates added on...
A lot of stuff isn't stable,Isolating a hybrid means nothing.
Pods from the parent plant might look cool but if the original seed stock was a hybrid it might not grow true for better or worse.
It's a crap shoot.
Most of the supposed isolated seeds I grew last season didn't grow true from trades or vendors.
Yellow 7 pots and scorpions that start out yellow but turn red,Yellow and chocolate bhuts turned red,douglah etc all turned red after they were the desired color,Big Bang Naga seeds are growing scorpion looking pods right now.
Heat is the same in general for most of the stuff above.
Out of several plants from the same seed stock only 1 might be as hot as expected/advertised.

So far the hottest pod I've had was from a naga,Darlow Chileman strain and an unknown strain of Douglah.
Haven't grown seeds out from either to see what I get.Next season I might grow them to see.
The nagas were pretty hot...Don't know if the seeds will grow true.They were from dry pods,I gotta grow them out.

I find the original Scorpion-BT to be hotter/nastier than anything else I've tried, both fresh and used in cooking. My scorpion sausages seemed a fair bit hotter than brainstrain sausages with the exact same recipe but the BS has a much better flavor

I believe the hottest peppers come from Trinidad. I read an interview with an Ambassador of Trinidad, and when asked about the Bhut Jolokia, he became very upset and asserted that the Bhut was taken to india from Trinidad, and indeed there has been a lot of Indian immigration to Trinidad, so it is entirely possible. When you also consider the sheer number of superhot species from Trinidad, in my opinion, the evidence is there. Either way I am satisfied with my Bhuts and Butch T. I don't really need anything hotter.

I find the Satan’s, Brain Strains and Infinities to be extremely brutal and are head and shoulders above the rest. My Douglah pods this year we’re enormous, but keep in mind that I juice them to grow that way!!

once you get past a Fatalii, does it really make a difference?
To me there is actually a big difference. Fatalii are very hot but only about 1/3 the heat of the super-hots. I really notice the difference when making large batches of sausage or other recipes

To me there is actually a big difference. Fatalii are very hot but only about 1/3 the heat of the super-hots. I really notice the difference when making large batches of sausage or other recipes

understand, but the point I was trying to make was that personally, I can't even eat a fresh Fatalii whole, and truthfully, will bet you not many others can/will either...so even though I grow mostly superhots, I won't eat one...I do, of course, use them in cooking...

well the butchT is hot, no doubts there, I always had a strong belief that the Douglah or the Brain Strain would in fact be hotter. Since I don't know how hot the Douglah's are from experience, I must say, Brain Strain is like a whole 'nother level of heat, you jump from habaneros to "super-hot", you jump from "super-hot" to "ultra-hot". The brain strain gave me SO much MORE pain than the trinidad scorpions ever did. easily a burn that outlasted them all, at least 30 minutes of either strong burn in there, ring sting 3 times, it even woke me up to take a dump the next morning.

However with all this insanity, and even though I will be growing a number of brain strains this year, which I am eternally grateful for thanks to Cappy,
I confess my belief that the Douglah is at a similar level to the Brain Strain, I cannot yet confirm that. Considering they both originated from 7-pots, given browns are usually hotter by nature, I am prepared to believe the douglah is the hottest pepper in the world, but I am enjoying the brain strains so much at the moment, and the fact Cappy is protecting them so well, so not everybody can grow or consume them, just makes them that much more special to me :)

So thanks Cappy! I do have yellow brain strain seeds, very keen to try those out :)

100_2773.jpg

Back