• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

What do you know about the Bahamas?

Johnny and I are going to the Bahamas and we were wondering if anyone on here was from the Bahamas or if anyone had any suggestions of "must see" or "must do" things while on the islands. We will be spending a day in Grand Stirrup Cay and a day in Nassau.

Let me know,
Thanks!

xo Nicole

... we are going January 7th-14th 2012

I know they have Scotch Bonnets. Bring me back some seeds. lol. Just kidding. Enjoy your trip! I was there when I was 17. LONG time ago. Had fun though. :)

Gotta try a conch salad. I haven't been there for years, but there were plenty of street vendors back then.

Oh, and expect to be asked if you want your hair braided about every 5 minutes.

Have fun!

Gotta try a conch salad. I haven't been there for years, but there were plenty of street vendors back then.

Oh, and expect to be asked if you want your hair braided about every 5 minutes.

Have fun!

aahh no I hate my hair braided! It hurts and would probably take 2 hours... my hair is extremely long right now! I am excited for street vendors, scotch bonnets!

I was in Nassau when I was there on a cruise years ago. We took a cab ride up into the hills and toured some sort of old fort of something like that.

Conch ceviche ++

I wasn't horribly impressed with Nassau, but part of that was because it rained almost the entire day we were there. Regardless, go snorkelling.

Went to the Bahamas on our honeymoon 7 years ago. You should check out the straw market in Nassau and definitely do a snorkeling excursion.

If you are divers, set up a shark dive with Stuart Cove-aside from that ......Stirrup Cay is known for its beaches. Have fun.You know ofcourse, that this means pics will be in order ;)

my girlfriends dad keeps his boat on green turtle cay which is a very small island off of abaco. we go for a week every other year. it's much different than the big islands- not touristy or commercialized.

snorkeling is definitely thing 1. fishing would be next on my list but that can eat up a lot of time.

eat from the sea- the caribbean lobster is very good and i love the grouper. i personally don't care for conch all that much- fritters are ok but conch salad- blecch. booze is way cheap. food is generally way expensive.

local peppers are more goat peppers and bird peppers than scotch bonnets in the abacos at least.

junkanoo is also very cool- sort of the bahamas version of mardi gras parades- you'll miss that by a week or so though as it is a new year's celebration.

Cigars!! I still have a few boxes from my last trip and an 01 Sancho Panzas are just coming to age!

Back from our trip and we visited several forts, straw markets, the Queens Staircase, beaches, and tried a Conch sandwich! Great time :)
Thanks for the suggestions!

xo Nicole

Back