• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What do you look for in Yogurt to take away the burn of a pepper?

What makes the best kind of yogurt to take away the pain of eating a superhot?  I hear that Yogurt is better than Milk for this.  I also hear you want full fat milk not 2%.  If i'm going to try something too hot for me while trying to build my tolerance, what kind of Yogurt should I get for it?

greek? I dunno, i'm lactose intolerant so I just drink some soda if I wuss out. I'd start with powders and work your way up to raw supers... if that's your thing. I personally don't eat them raw. I'll slice some up on a pizza sometimes but for the most part I make powders out them and use it on pretty much all my food. 

D3monic said:
greek? I dunno, i'm lactose intolerant so I just drink some soda if I wuss out. I'd start with powders and work your way up to raw supers... if that's your thing. I personally don't eat them raw. I'll slice some up on a pizza sometimes but for the most part I make powders out them and use it on pretty much all my food. 

While powders will be my main go to, i'm also going to review the peppers I grow (and tasting them at least once fresh will be key to knowing them).  But yes, I plan a lot of hot sauces and powders (unless my yeild sucks.

Frozen yogurt or ice cream are my favorites if I get in over my head.  We always have plain greek yogurt on hand as a back-up.

Don't run from the burn, feel the burn. j/k :) Yeah, I think full fat would help more than other types. Maybe even mix in a spoon of olive oil.

Scoville DeVille said:
I have used half and half.

Like, 3 times. lol

And I don't drink it.

Swish. Spit. Repeat.

That's the OMG OPEN FRIDGE WHAT'S IN HERE HURRRRYYY cool the tongue beverage. Been there.

Full-fat yogurt can be hard to find, Greek or otherwise. Dasani brand has full-fat, 2% and 0%, same for some other brands, so it's important to read the labels.

Make your own yogurt, its easy once you know how. Sweet fruit like Dates Apricots will kill the heat in my experince, we used to use raisins when I was a kid while eating Curry.

With capsain being an OIL
there is nothing dairy that will break it up or dispurse in any fashion.
Making hot milk is all your doing.

I also hear you want full fat milk not 2%.

Makes sense. The oils are fat soluble. That's why milk works a lot better than water.

Scoville DeVille said:
I have used half and half.

Like, 3 times. lol

And I don't drink it.

Swish. Spit. Repeat.

I can drink Half & Half straight. I think it's yum. In fact, I've used it for the purpose of alleviating burn before.

milk does work better than water, something about the milk fats that bind with the capsaicinoids,
but one thing everyone has missed is-SUGAR
get a yogurt with SUGAR in it.  Sugar is the other thing that will kill the heat.  Plain table sugar, or anything with natural sugars.  Carrot, Apple, ice cream...the Scoville Heat Unit (SHU) scale is based on how many times the chile is diluted wiht sugar water until there is no detectable heat.

It's long been said that a combination of dairy and sugar is the best.  One person said that full fat cottage cheese with a bunch of sugar in it was the ticket.  I haven't tried that, but it seems to make sense. 

Sugar does not kill heat, or it would make no sense to put sugars in hot sauce.

The way it "removes" heat is you eat raw granulated sugar and rub your tongue against the roof of your mouth to scrub the oils off, as sugar has surfactant properties, but you have to scrub, like washing clothes by hand or dirt off your hands (surfactant detergents). Once it's dissolved into a liquid you just eat it's not going to do anything at all. Like pouring Tide on your jeans and waiting.

Milk only barely works, nothing noticeable for extreme heat. It's the casein in milk.

What really works is time. Let that fire burn out!

I say beer works, it's a lie, but when you're really drunk, well, it kind of does. 

I have a different opinion. 

I've put 5 drops of Pure Evil in 12 oz of soy sauce and 5 drops of Pure Evil in 12 oz of catsup. The catsup was not as hot as the soy sauce, to the point that most people thought the soy sauce was 4-5 on a heat scale and the catsup was 2-3.  This is just one example.  Others have reported similar experiences when adding Pure Evil to baked goods and candies. 

Sauces made with sugar do tend to be less hot than sauces made with similar ingredients and no sugar.  Sometimes the sweetness is desired in the sauce for whatever flavor profile the maker is looking for, not to negate the heat.   

Some people say to drink olive oil, some say peanut butter.  In the end it comes down to whatever is in the fridge or cupboard when the crisis hits.

Back