• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What do you suggest

a first timer to grow? I was thinking of growing orange habs, unless you know of other sweet (but equally hot) peppers to try.

All tips are appreciated!

while some types are more finicky about germination and require longer seasons to grow the basics of growing are going to be the same from one variety to the next.that being said, if i were starting out and only growing a variety or three i would choose my varieties based on 2 criteria:
1. what do i like to use?
2. what is not commonly available to me at the grocery store?

orange habs fail on number 2 imo. i'd go for caribbean reds at the least on that front- equally easy to grow, better flavor, better heat, fewer "bad" pods in my experience as well.

while some types are more finicky about germination and require longer seasons to grow the basics of growing are going to be the same from one variety to the next.that being said, if i were starting out and only growing a variety or three i would choose my varieties based on 2 criteria:
1. what do i like to use?
2. what is not commonly available to me at the grocery store?

orange habs fail on number 2 imo. i'd go for caribbean reds at the least on that front- equally easy to grow, better flavor, better heat, fewer "bad" pods in my experience as well.

Well orange habs are everywhere, but the ones I buy are rather weak. I was looking online and I saw some really nice Trinidad peppers that I wanted to try. So maybe caribbean reds and some scotch bonnets?

Try real scotch bonnets.
A good all around choice.
For Habs I like Safi Red a lot.

If you didn't already,get into the seed lotto I have going on and if you win there are plenty of choices there to grow.

Back