• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What do you use to strain your compost tea for use in a spray bottle?

Just curious as to what you all use?
I have been using an old cloth rag but after reading an "expert's" advice that the filter should be a maximum of 400 microns to allow bacteria to pass through it I have been looking into other things.
I did order a 400 micron 7" x 16" bag from Ebay that is sold for filtering bio-diesel I believe so I figure that should make a good compost tea bag to brew with.

I still think that even a 400 micron filter will still allow particles large enough to plug the tip on my pump sprayer though. :think:

I just use a piece of fiberglass window screen inside a funnel to catch the big stuff and the strainer on the bottom of the spray bottle tube catches the rest.

painter's bag from home depot. you get 2 of them for like $5. i grabbed the 5gal size and they work great for brewing bags, fill with grass clippings, worm poo and whatever else ya got and 48 hrs later......remove bag and fill your sprayer. seems to hold up pretty well too, rinse and repeat.

Thanks everyone. What I want to know though is whether painters bags, cheesecloth, etc is too fine or not for allowing as much of the beneficial bacteria as possible through?

I use an old sock, seems to work for me. I take the solids I strain out and mix them into the soil of the plants after, no sense wasting them.

Thanks everyone. What I want to know though is whether painters bags, cheesecloth, etc is too fine or not for allowing as much of the beneficial bacteria as possible through?

the painters bags are not that fine. the mesh is fairly large, much larger than pantyhose or cloth from underware/socks.

Use a cheap sprayer if you don't have like a thousand plants, that way you get all the bacterial goodiness but if the sprayer clogs its only like a dollar for another one.

Back