• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What does this mean?

Ok so about a week and a half ago I repotted my plants and that was the last time I watered them. Yesterday I set up my new lights. So the following pics are right after new lights were installed and then roughly 8 hrs later.

Right after installing lights.
20131115_101907_zps1b15a525.jpg

About 8 hrs later.
20131115_194726_zps9a9a4b81.jpg

The first set of leaves on the bottom were drastically droopy. This morning after 10+ hrs of rest they were back up, now this evening same thing. Any ideas?

If you watered em about a week and a half ago they probably need to be watered again. Pick up the pots and see how light they are. Your plants also need to get used to the new brighter lights. Another way to tell if they need to be watered is by the feel of the leaves, if the leaves feel soft and the pots feel fairly light, its time to water them.

Ok I went ahead and watered them the leaves did feel softer than normal and soil was dry about a finger length down. (Didnt know softer leaves indicate a need for watering but you learn something new every day.) Is there anything I should do to help them adjust to the brighter lights? Thanks for the info guys.

They should bounce right up. For seedlings that size the main cause of wilting is heat then water needed. When ever you repot you should give them a good watering.

I soaked em pretty good the first time. I did however switch from miracle grow organic to scotts potting soil they seem to be experiencing a little furt burn but nothing too bad. I could not get rid of those damn fungus gnats in the miracle grow so I decided to switch and so far no problems there.

I've used scotts and also had an outbreak of fungus gnats. Bottom water if you can. It doesn't do much but it helps.

H2O2 did a good job at wiping out a huge number of them. If you've got a room fan, stick it over the plants too, it will really help with air circulation and also strengthen the stem.

Yeah ive got a fan on them ill leave that running over night to help dry the top soil. I had to ditch over 30 seeds the other week I had in a germination station. Saw two naga vipers popped and when I lifted the lid hundreds of those damn gnats came out so I cut my losses.

Yea it happens every time I move a newborn plant from the germination tray to under the T5's. I usually have to do a version of hardening off except it only takes a couple of days. If I don't, I'll have fried plants. I've lost many a seedlings that way

it is probably some shock! i am an advocate of using mycorrhizae in some form when i transplant my seedlings, every plant that i have used with on i left in the sun and no shock!

Thanks for the info guys after a bit of water and cutting the light time down a little the past couple days they seem to have bounced back.

coheed196 said:
Yea it happens every time I move a newborn plant from the germination tray to under the T5's. I usually have to do a version of hardening off except it only takes a couple of days. If I don't, I'll have fried plants. I've lost many a seedlings that way
This has happened to me before also. I just think i jumped the gun and wanted to get em going. I potted up a few tiny seedlings and tossed em under hid. Almost vaporized em..

smileyguy697 said:
This has happened to me before also. I just think i jumped the gun and wanted to get em going. I potted up a few tiny seedlings and tossed em under hid. Almost vaporized em..
Yea I've fried several that way. What I do now is after I move them from the cell/cup/whatever I germinate them in, I repot and put them under the table that my lights hang above for 24hours. Then iI'll move them under the lights once they shut off for the night and when they click on in the morning, they are usually fine. I haven't fried any that way anyways

Back