• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What else to try?

Hey all,

So as I read these forums, I stumble across interesting things, and even though I KNOW I have to limit my pepper growing (since I don't actually have a place to grow them and have to house my peppers at a friend's place), I am super curious to taste more varieties. Maybe add 1 or 2 next year, or more if I relocate to a more garden-friendly place.

Currently I'm growing datils, thanks to the love I found for them while living in St. Augustine. I've read others say that they prefer fataliis to datils, so that's definitely on my try list. Brazilian starfish and Ajis also sound interesting, but there seems to be a ton of Aji varieties and I don't know what else would be in that species. And of course there's other species and varieties I haven't heard of.

I think I would be interested in other peppers that are described as fruity, but not crazy-hot. I don't want heat to overcome flavor, but I do want some kick, even if it's as mild as a jalapeno.

Any suggestions for someone with my tastes? And any suggestions on where to find such peppers? It seems like most of the posts in the forum are for super-hots, which are a no-go for me, but I'm watching out for some others (and have touched base with someone for fataliis).

Thanks!

Ruid, that's a new one to me. Thanks for the suggestion! Looking it up on THP and Khang Starr's channel, it sounds like something I need to check out.

Willard and NE Chili Man - I definitely like serranos! They are my go to for any unspecified fresh chili, and I sometimes sub them in place of jalapenos. But since I am very limited in what I can grow (only 3 plants for sure at this moment, one of which will definitely be a datil), and I can get them at the grocery store, I probably won't look in to growing them. But if I move or otherwise find more space, adding one of them would be a good idea.

Brazilian Starfish are awesome if you want jalapeno type heat and fruity. Very versatile pepper for fresh use. Mild enough nearly anyone who like peppers can eat them.

Serrano and Zapotec jalapeno if you want some hot jalapenos. NuMex lemon or orange spice are supposed to be really good too. I can buy good serranos so i dont bother anymore. Its harder to find really good hot jalapenos around here.

So if you got room for 3 you need to add something with more heat and also easy to grow. Fatali would fit that bill. They are very prolific. Several scotch bonnets produce really well. One of the best i tried is MOA red scotch bonnets. Production was crazy. Mine were good and hot but im partial to P Dreadie or TFM bonnets for flavor. Cant really go wrong with any of them though.

Back