• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What exactly is this object?

HwyBill

Banned
I found it in my alley near a dumpster.

It looks like things I have seen people use to grow tomatoes before.

I recovered it because I assume it is similarly useful for chiles?

RvQCL.jpg

Not sure if it is a reasonable expectation.. but if that's the case I'm going to grow my awesome super chile plants into it! w00t!

you don't need a cage for super chili's....they are short and stocky and very strong...

Hey.. my chile plants are only super in my own mind... no way I have anything anywhere near that could be used strucuture.

isn't it for plants though? maybe someday!

my rent is paid for a couple months.

typically the ends are longer to stick in the ground for tomatoe cage then it would be upside down, or you can use as a trellis the way it is for other plants

Most people's plants won't get to the point of needing one. If you're soil is loose enough, you have excellent drainage and oxygen exchange, with a large enough container or worked area of ground, then you will in up needing some type of staking and support. Pepper plants are strong to a fault. They are notorious for breaking main stems at major nodes. Just enough to piss you off for a month until a new shoot takes up the empty sunlight real estate :)

sorry...I thought you were talking about these....

P1010040.jpg

Those are beautiful AJ, I hope my Numex Twilights get as big as your super chilis do.

HwyBill, I use a cut down version on some of my pepper plants, the ones I know are going to get big, like this here...
BSYellow4-25-12.jpg

keep that trellis bill,wrap some plastic and make a mini individual green house for a plant when is small, i dunno just an idea.

IMG_1558.jpg

I don't use cages for the peppers but I will use stakes for the main stem and laterial branches (photo's from last yr)

053.jpg

Here's a 4 x 12ft bed with 7ft tomato plants.......in the far back of photo are 18 gal containers with tomatoes in "Cages"....those are San Marzanos and the plants get so weighted with fruit that using a stake juice won't "slice it" with those plants

Greg

Whoa. That looks like the receiving end of a Phase 2 Molecular Transmografier. I wouldn't mess with it. What ever you do don't place it any where near open water or an electrical source and for God's sake don't take a shower with it. Oh wait....my bad that's just a wire trellis for holding up lazy, overburdened plants. Whew, for a minute I thought we were all in trouble.

Whoa. That looks like the receiving end of a Phase 2 Molecular Transmografier. I wouldn't mess with it. What ever you do don't place it any where near open water or an electrical source and for God's sake don't take a shower with it. Oh wait....my bad that's just a wire trellis for holding up lazy, overburdened plants. Whew, for a minute I thought we were all in trouble.
Hahaha.........even 4 rows of 14 ga solid fead through 4- 2x cedar is having a struggle holding up the tomato plants.........must be some heavy Supersteaks in there........Greg

Back