• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What have I done?!

so i sprayed my garden down good with rock salt in a water bottle sprayer yesterday and thing's dont look so good today....
what's up with that? i was told it was good for the plant's...

:scared:  

Student of Spice said:
it is really good for the plants, you just have to alternate with herbicide to help kill the weeds at the base of your plants :liar:

hey thanks so much dude what brand do I get?

Check the reference again.  Willing to bet someone said 'rock salt' when they meant to say 'Epsom salt'.  Not that I can testify as to the epsom salt, but have read many a person swear by it.

Next time you read something you want to try, might be a good idea to experiment with a tiny number of plants first.

Student of Spice said:
it is really good for the plants, you just have to alternate with herbicide to help kill the weeds at the base of your plants :liar:
I seem to recall from history that salt was thrown on fields to kill crops.

ajdrew said:
Check the reference again.  Willing to bet someone said 'rock salt' when they meant to say 'Epsom salt'.  Not that I can testify as to the epsom salt, but have read many a person swear by it.

Yep! That's the very first think that popped into my head! That is the one and ONLY salt I've ever seen mentioned for any type of horticultural use. Rock salt/Sodium Chloride will straight up kill plants if used in a strong enough application or at least if not quickly reversed to remedy the situation via flushing to try and wash away/remove as much excess sodium ASAP. And that is precisely what should be done (especially if in planters)! If the salt hasn't already been 'watered in', I'd scoop up and remove any on the surface level, flush extensively and replace soil layer if needed. Cross fingers and hope for the best... plants might bounce back! 

(somehow I feel this post is not 100% serious(?) Rock salt, table salt, any type of salt aside from Epsom is a definite 'no-no' in the garden... unless you want to kill plants!   :eh:

ajdrew said:

Next time you read something you want to try, might be a good idea to experiment with a tiny number of plants first.

I seem to recall from history that salt was thrown on fields to kill crops.
I was about to post the same thing....a lot of difference between Rock Salt and Epsom Salts.

How far gone are your plants and start flushing your plants with straight water.....you got any pics....salt can kill.....you may be able to save something.

No, he really did it.  I was there.  We had just finished crushing eggshells together, and got into an argument about how fine they had to be....  

Well, that was worth a few clicks. I figured Geo knew much better than that. And yet, I  replied. Waste of time and server space.

Back