• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What is going on with my habs

My orange Habaneros are turning yellow. I can't really find anything on why this is.....possibly too much nitrogen or sun.......but that doesn't make sense because other peppers on the same plant are nice and deep orange like they should be. I don't know if these orange & yellow peppers are ok, or if they need to be culled or what?

Any help welcome. I'll try to get a pic up in a little while.

Peppers don't turn different colors because of deficiencies.  They turn different colors because they are a different variety.

2nd year of this plant producing ORANGE peppers....2nd harvest this year from this plant.....all the other peppers are orange. Just a handful of peppers on this plant that appear to be turning yellow. None of my other habaneros are yellow (all 10 plants are orange Habs), so its not a cross pollination thing, unless it cross pollinated with the yellow bell peppers or banana peppers (which are on the other side of the garden)

Rygel said:
 so its not a cross pollination thing, unless it cross pollinated with the yellow bell peppers or banana peppers (which are on the other side of the garden)

Cross pollination would have happened last year and effected the seed that grew this plant - a cross this year would not do anything until the seed was grown next year.

JDFan said:

Cross pollination would have happened last year and effected the seed that grew this plant - a cross this year would not do anything until the seed was grown next year.

Yep, that's absolutely right.

Actually they're more of a white-ish color.....
33108107_10156375561684935_2909879208199061504_n.jpg

genetic hiccup? sometimes  a blue eyed person is born into a family with mostly brown eyes. a blond born into a family with mostly brown hair. i`m guessing this can happen with plants? interesting to find out why. 

sun scald?
But you would think the leaves would be showing signs of it as well.....they're not.

gonna have to pick one, cut it open, maybe taste it and see.....

Everyone is asking me to make them a batch of my hot sauce (getting to the point where I have considered "canning" it and selling it!)
But if these peppers are bad/something wrong with the plant.....that's gonna suck big time!

i`m a noobie and never grew habanero but i notice the leaves on your plant are "cupped". is this common on them? also it looks like it is dripping with water. just rained? just watered?

harvested all of the peppers (have another plant or 2 in flower)
some of them I cut open (the whitest) some had brown lines on them
One was brown inside...looked like the lungs of a 20yr smoker (aka mine probably)
One I cut open and a tiny spider was inside.....but I dont' know 100% if it was inside or was just on the pepper and I didn't see until after I cut it open...no others had any....I cut up about a dozen to randomly check some)
one was almost all white, looked perfectly healthy otherwise.....tasted it, tasted like it should
Some had lines on them (like a jalapeno when it corks.....do habaneros cork?)

At least I seem to have enough good peppers to make at least 3-4 batches of sauce.. Or should I throw them all out because of the bad ones?

luvmesump3pp3rz said:
i`m a noobie and never grew habanero but i notice the leaves on your plant are "cupped". is this common on them? also it looks like it is dripping with water. just rained? just watered?
It has rained the past couple days, so there's a lot of moisture in the air......the moisture on them is just dew. 

If you observe the stem of the pods in question, you will notice that it in not a deep green. It appears to be yellowing. I have noticed that when plants are nutrient deficient, they will shed the over load of fruit by starving them off. As a result the fruit stop maturing and the stems are the first to show signs of color inconsistency.

Just a thought.

Chorizo, I'm in the panhandle and we really haven't gotten a whole lot of the rain overall. Rained a couple hours a day for like 2-3 days luckily though all my peppers are in containers so if it's going to monsoon here for a week I can bring them inside lol

Back