• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What is on the under side of my leaf?

Found this on the underside of several of the leaves on my Bhut X PDN plant. The plant is healthy and it is also unique as it is a normal green looking plant where as the other two are purple with purple stems. It looks like some sort of salt residue to me. I cut off a leaf and put it in a sealed bag and I isolated the plant just in case they are eggs. None of my other 136 plants have anything like this. Any ideas what it could be?

EDIT: Went back and double checked. I did find it on several other plants.

2011-03-27_03-28-33_386.jpg

2011-03-27_04-35-54_866.jpg

I had some plants do that last year. I was told several things. To moist and pot up. I'm sure someone else will chime in on this.

Peace,
P Dreadie

My best guess would be salt deposit. Use a squirt bottle of water and if it comes off thats probally it. Have they been getting salt treatments-if so stop and maybe this too shall pass.

it does not look like eggs for any insects. but your best choice is to cut all sick leafs and keep waching the new comming leafs on the same plants if they turn same way. its sickness move the plants to different location. it could be environmental affect. this kind of kind of phenomena needs profissional or some one had same experince with same issue i never seen some thing like that

I only water after they get a bit droopy... but I have noticed that since they are so close to each other and all the leaves overlap water does condensate between the leaves when it gets cool and the warm lights are above. Now that I am forced to spread the plants out I hope it will correct itself. Thanks everyone for the rapid feedback!

It's edema. Worst case I've seen though. I just popped a leaf off of one of one of my own plants that has it under a microscope to get a better look at it. You can't pop them but if you apply enough pressure you can crush them then the water just pours out.

It's edema. Worst case I've seen though. I just popped a leaf off of one of one of my own plants that has it under a microscope to get a better look at it. You can't pop them but if you apply enough pressure you can crush them then the water just pours out.

+1. got the same thing happening to my biker billy's. Roots taking in too much water from what i read.

Looks like powdery mildew to me. Try putting a fan on plants to keep air moving, also if your grow area is cool that could also contribute to the problem. If it is cool, try warming things up. Check out urban garden magazine's website, they had an article on this problem in their feb/march issue called stop the rot, there is a picture of a squash leaf that looks very similar to your pictures. Good luck!

Back