• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fertilizer What is the best fertilizer for Hot Pepper - what NPK ?

[SIZE=10pt]Hello,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]I'm starting my adventure ( fun ) with breeding peppers and do not know what fertilizer to use ( what should be) NPK at different phases (periods ) during the breeding :[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]1. What proportion of NPK fertilizer and how to start breeding (for rapid root growth) ?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]2. What proportion of NPK fertilizer and how to increase pepper ?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]3. What proportions of NPK for flowering pepper ?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Thank you in advance for your help Grzegorz[/SIZE]

I don't dabble with different ratios for each stage of growth, so I can't offer help there. Many do, however, and should be able to point you in the right direction.

For mature plants, I like to use tomato fertilizer.... 6-18-6

A good balanced fertilizer will also work well.... I mixed some slow release triple 13 granules into my soil, and they seem to be doing quite well.

A good, healthy dose of "fuck you, start growing you little b*tch" mixed whatever the plant looks like it needs at the moment. I kid you not, that is what I do. For actual fertilizer, it's 5-15-14 for flowering, and 10-5-14 for growth. 

I feel so lazy that i looked up images of the fertilizer I use to get the ratio instead of going down the hall to read it.

cruzzfish said:
A good, healthy dose of "f**k you, start growing you little b*tch" mixed whatever the plant looks like it needs at the moment. I kid you not, that is what I do. For actual fertilizer, it's 5-15-14 for flowering, and 10-5-14 for growth. 

I feel so lazy that i looked up images of the fertilizer I use to get the ratio instead of going down the hall to read it.
Ok, so when I first read this I was like... "that is harsh"... i thought you were talking to the OP!  haha
I also dont mess with changing ratios, I believe it is completely unnecessary.

Although, my plants usually stay very small with just a few peppers...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSWWzWY7tmQ

pepper_rancher said:
Ok, so when I first read this I was like... "that is harsh"... i thought you were talking to the OP!  haha
I also dont mess with changing ratios, I believe it is completely unnecessary.

Although, my plants usually stay very small with just a few peppers...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSWWzWY7tmQ
Is that one your's?

I can't get them that big because we have a shorter season here, so they stay in pots and come back in during the winter .

Just use a good name brand nutrient.
Such as Flora Nova, Bitanicare, Dyna Grow

Most people prefer a grow and then a bloom formula. Switch to bloom when plants start to flower. Some growers just use either or and thats it. Along with some other nutes like Seaweed, or worm tea.

The grow will be higher in Nitrogen and the bloom will contain lower N and higher phosphorus. Hope this helps.

For most home growers, a simple 14-14-14 like the nutricote/osmocote they sell at most garden centers should be fine, although I'd look into wholesalers and save myself a ton of cash (I started a thread on that somewhere).

Important things to know about fertilizers:

1) Avoid Ironite like the plague. It's made from industrial waste and is so loaded with heavy metals that I don't know why it's legal.
2) I'm guess you already did some reading about the roles that Nitrogen, Phosphorous, and Potassium play in plants, or you wouldn't be asking a question like this. The trend among more forward-thinking agronomists does seem to lean toward applying only what a plant needs at that stage in its life cycle. That said, it's not as simple as NPK; there are other nutrients (Calcium, Magnesium, Manganese, Sulphur, etc.) to consider.
3) Prilled, or "timed-release" fertilizers are often the best choice, particularly if you're just starting out. They come in a variety of different nutritional formulations and release durations (yet another reason to look into wholesalers; there are a lot more options than Home Depot would have you believe). Make sure that you don't apply an excessive amount, or you'll do more harm than good. Work it thoroughly into your potting mix or, if top dressing an established plant, into the topmost inch or so of your potting mix, taking care not to apply it too close to the stem of your plant. Always make sure you water it in well. The reason for most of this is to ensure a steady release (fertilizers don't work as well if they don't stay wet), and to ensure that you don't burn your plant. Granular fertilizers are good for a quick shot in the arm for ailing plants, but they tend not to last as long as prilled fertilizers and run even more of a risk of "nute burn." This isn't to say they aren't as "good," just that I use them for different purposes. Liquid fertilizers are the safest of the three, but are far less cost-effective, don't last long, and may require several applications before you see results.

TLDR: Use a balanced timed-release fert mixed into your potting mix for long-term nutrition, adjusting deficiencies with granular or liquid fertilizers if you start to see deficiencies later in the season.

All of this is just my own opinion based on what I've experienced with past grows.

I use a 10-10-10 liquid and use a lot each time I water(mixed into the water) I got a six foot ghost my first year in a 5gal bucket:

10913586_10203347700001816_166266751_n_zpsb07077ec.jpg

Another question would be in ground or in pots? As most will tell you peppers are not heavy feeders. In ground with good soil a balance time release is good to add when planting and as a top dressing. I typically will hot them with some soluble administered through my irrigation as they are growing. I also don't change compositions for rooting/growth/flowering. Mine just don't care. In the ground my plants do best on less. In pots? Dunno. 

Feed your living soil and let the plants take what they need from that ... Trying to guess what a plant needs based on what traits it is displaying or life cycle you guess it is at is akin to closing the stable door after the horse has bolted... You are trying to remedy something which has already happened ... Best to try to prevent it in the first place ... Just my opinion of course

I'm not convinced that pepper plants care all that much about the exact ratio.  So long as they have 'enough' of the various elements, they will grow well and do whatever the bleep they please.  I've used and experimented with a variety of chemical ferts, but haven't noticed any huge changes in growth patterns when switching between two 'Blue Crystal' recipes at 24-8-16 and 15-30-15, or a citrus(!) fertilzer at 13-10-4 +sulfur.

In my limited experience, changes in temperature, sunlight, humidity, watering habits, etc. have a FAR greater effect on plant growth and blossom production than a change in NPK ratios.

That said, I'd keep an eye out for calcium deficiency as the fruit starts to mature.

Here's a good article that discusses the changing nute requirements as the plant matures and sets fruit.  http://www.haifa-group.com/files/Guides/Pepper/Pepper.pdf

Hello,
thank you very much for \ your answers . I do not know English so I use google translator - sorry if I write badly ( not legible ) .
Each of you wrote different doses ( proportions ) of fertilizers and still do not know what use :(

What respective proportions of NPK on growth, flowering and fruiting ?

When the fertilizer is to be more of N, P , and K - are responsible for what these ingredients .

Below are some photos from my kennel :

pAPRYKA%20CHILI.jpg

Do any of you use fertilizer Plagron :
- POWERROOTS
- VITA RACE
- GREEN SENSATION BOOSTER
- ALGA BLOOM
- START UP

Is Plagron is good?

In Poland, there are still such a brand (company) :
-atami
-biobizz
-canna

If I knew the various phases of NPK ( aspect ratio on growth, flowering and fruit) that look for something similar in Poland.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Plagron, Atami, Biobizz and Canna are all good fertiliser brands (I think they are all dutch). You can use whichever you want.
Personally, I find Biobizz and Canna to be a bit more expensive than the competition, so last year I've grown using hesi. The results just as good and it was cheaper.

I recomend using the bloom formulae from your brand of choice and go at half strength to max. 3/4 at least at first. I wouldn't bother with other supplements for now (rooting, blooming, p/k 13/14, vitamins, etc)

Back