• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

what is the best tasting chocolate hot pepper?

I have been talking back and forth with Cappy recently after getting some chocolate brain strains and it made me think about hunting for the best tasting chocolate hot pepper. I was thinking these CBSs were some of the best, but I also like the unique taste of the Douglahs. He mentioned that there are different douglahs around that are quite different. Now I need to try different ones from different people. Right now, my favorite hot red pepper is the 7 pot/pod Primo. The red brain was my favorite for taste before the primo and his chocolate is just as good. So is the chocolate primo just as good? So, for those who have tried many different hot chocolates, what is your favorite for taste? Tom

As far as chocolate strains, I haven't tried a whole lot, but chocolate habanero and bhuts are quite tasty. But no pepper, in my opinion, can stand up to the awesomeness that is the Caribbean Red habanero. Mmm!

TrueNorthReptiles said:
As far as chocolate strains, I haven't tried a whole lot, but chocolate habanero and bhuts are quite tasty. But no pepper, in my opinion, can stand up to the awesomeness that is the Caribbean Red habanero. Mmm!

C Reds are pretty tasty. I got 3 plants this year and they made the grow next year list as well.

I think as far as garden staples to grow each year goes

Paper Lantern Habs
Aji Pineapple or limon , I can barely tell a difference
Bolsa de dulce
caribbean red habs
Butch T yellow
7pot yellow
cherry bombs
champion
aji omni color

Everything else is just new experimentation or crosses most likely. 

Oops I got off topic, some reason I thought this was the favorite pepper thread

TrueNorthReptiles said:
I completely agree with this. I love the flavor of chocolate Bhut/Black Naga, either fresh or dried. But it's also kinda hard to not love the chocolate habanero.

-Adam

Brown BBG7 is the only that I've tried. I can't compare it to the chocolate hab hot sauce I have, but both are pretty good.
Put the bbg7 in a tomato and basil sauce for a chicken pasta, I thought it was pretty good....

I have some 7 pot burgundy (dunno if that qualifies) but it was quite tasty.  Also like choc habs.  Hope to have Jamaican hot choc seeds for next year's grow.  

I totally enjoyed the flavor of Ignite's Primaux Big Black Mamas he sent me recently.

The flavor I got from them went opposite of the reviews I had seen. They were sweet, fruity, and extremely tasty in a very mild not overpowering way.

Of course they were also like licking the hinges to hell, but for as much heat as they packed, they are very tasty.

Previously my go to favorite hot dark pepper was the chocolate bhut. Seconded closely by a chocolate hab. I think if they taste can stay consistent, those BBMs have supplanted both of those as my fave.

Back