• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water What is the best type of water to use for the pepper plants/seedlings?

Do you think its even a good idea I use Florida tap water at all? I've been using distilled bottle water.

All municipal water is chlorinated/treated to kill germs in the water supply, also is not good for the plants right out of the tap/hose. If you need a good amount for watering get a 30 gal garbage can and fill it and let it stand a day or two for the chemicals to gas off, then dip out of that. Refill what you use out and you should be good for the next time.

Do you think its even a good idea I use Florida tap water at all? I've been using distilled bottle water.

I would not give plants municipal water that I wouldn't drink myself. I lived in Jacksonville for 3 years for work long ago, and there was something seriously wrong with the water. It smelled really bad, and tasted even worse. It took me one try to figure out why bottled water was so popular in the area. Luckily our gated community had a pond in the back for each group of 6 homes so I watered our house plants with that. I did find Florida to be an amazing place though and has wilderness areas that most locals don't even bother with. Everyone jokes about selling people a swamp in Florida, but being in a canoe (with or without a fishing rod) in those swamps is a mind-blowing experience.

I dont personally use unfiltered tap water. Too much chlorine; kills beneficial bacteria in the soil. If your using chemical ferts, then that might not matter. I put in a whole house water filter, but you can buy a cheaper line filter too. Its the most cost effective way.

the little chlorine they have in the water i doubt will have much effect on the plants like all other chemicals and shit our cars and everything else sprouts out to the plants in the wild. my indoors plants are healthy and have gived me 2 plastic bags full of bird eye chili and they have been getting tap water all their life.

Reactions: Bou
Our water is OK, except sometimes I can taste chlorine, which I believe is not good for the soil microbes.

This what I connected to the garden hose between the faucet and sprinkler pressure regulator:

Pentek BFS-20 (spec sheet)

Pentek EPM-10 (spec sheet) in first housing just to filter sediment that will clog the second cartridge

Pentek ChlorPlus 10 (spec sheet) in second housing.

Back