• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake What is the best way to to separate seeds from flakes?

I enjoy saving seeds to collect grow and trade. When I eat a pepper, unless it is immature green, or I find the taste repulsive, I usually save the seeds. For all pods (whether fresh or dried) that are not small, the collection process is easy. I had issues last night with small Birdseye peppers. After I used my fingers to crush some peppers into a bowl, I had a big pile of seeds mixed in with flakes. I did a reasonable job of separating seeds to put into a Ziploc, but it was a pain, and lots of flakes ended up in the bag.

In circumstances like this: What is the best way to to separate seeds from flakes?

Maybe try a flour sifter if flakes are smaller than seeds. If nothing else you'll get the fine pepper seperated from both the larger flakes and seeds. If FRESHcut and clean seeds from pod--you'll end up with just the flesh along with seeds (some loose & some attached to the core / rib). Dry them out and once seeds a dry on the rib /core scrape them loose. Then take the rest of flesh & seedless core and grind together to get pepper powder.

Still a little time consuming but that only if you want to save seeds otherwise dry the pepper and blend / grind away.

Hope it was of some help.

If the pods are fresh, put them in a blender and fill with water. Buzz it around a few times. The flesh will float and the seeds will sink. Skim off the flesh and drain the water and seeds into a strainer, then a strainer lined with a coffee filter. After draining, slide the coffee filter and seeds onto a paper plate for drying.

I'm still trying to figure out a good method for extracting seeds from dried pods. Like you, I crush them up, then try to sort out the seeds from the flakes. It is easier to get clean seeds by harvesting them from fresh pods as described above.

Lol push one seed to the left with the left hand and with the right eat one flake so on so forth mmmm peppers.lol try putting the flake/seeds on a cutting board or paper plate at an angle and lightly tap the (heavy-r) of the two will go to the bottom you might have to do this a few times a napkin might even work better cause the texture will catch the flake?

Back