misc What is the Secret to Shrink Wrapping?

Hello,

I made a gallon batch of sauce the other day and tried using the shrink wrap for the first time. It looks like a wrinkled up prune, not smooth like the ones in the store. Is there a trick to this. The shrink wrap came from Leener's and I used a hair dryer. It worked wonderfully except for the appearance. Also, there's a perforated rib that sticks out (like a fin) which makes it clumpier once heated. Maybe all shrink wrap is not created equal? Maybe the shrink wrap is smarter than me? Any advice? Thanks.

Ken

Hi Ken,

unfortunately, not all shrink wrap is created equal. However, you can get better results by using a heat gun (available at any hardware store for $20-$30). Heat guns run hotter than hair dryers. Also, if you have one, try using the fan or other direct attachment to consolidate the air flow. Commercial bottles go through a heat tunnel that has even heat all the way around, which results in a smooth look. Using a hotter gun will get you closer to the look.
Good Luck- salsalady

edit- here's one of my bottles, I use a heat gun and this is a 10oz bottle.

and a 5oz with a heat gun-

Photos courtesy of SumOfMyBits. How do these compare to yours? Can you post a pic?

Back