• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

What is this - a habareaper? Moved here on advice

My habanero plants, started from seeds barely five months ago, have been very productive and have so far contributed to my kitchen with some dozen fruits, orange and knobbly as expected. However, I've now got two that are distinctly different. One is orange but is elongated with a slight but distinctly pointy tail. The other one is red, and the tail is quite prominent. If it was wrinkly and shown to me off the plant I would've said that it's a reaper. But it's smooth like a habanero.

As I mentioned in my introduction post, I grow several varieties next to each other. And it just so happens that my Carolina reapers are next to the habaneros, in separate pots. I've read everything I could find about cross-pollination, and the consensus is that the fruit will still have all the characteristics of the mother plant, with any genetic changes only showing in the next generation. So what's happening here?

Just to clarify, all of the four habanero plants were grown from seeds collected from a single orange habanero.

I've enclosed two pics, showing the standard fruit and the aberration, both still on the plants.

Attachments

• Habawhat.jpg
    Habawhat.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 137
  • Habanero.jpg
    Habanero.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 126
Nenad said:

I've read everything I could find about cross-pollination, and the consensus is that the fruit will still have all the characteristics of the mother plant, with any genetic changes only showing in the next generation.

Correct.

Nenad said:

Just to clarify, all of the four habanero plants were grown from seeds collected from a single orange habanero.

In that case, it is probable that the red plant (and possibly even the orange ones) were grown from cross-pollinated seed. There can be both pure and crossed seed inside the same pod, since each seed is a separate fertilization event. The mother plant could have been cross-pollinated by any nearby genetically compatible pepper plant. You can isolate flowers or even entire plants if you want to reduce the number of surprises like this in the future. Or not, and just look forward to the surprises.  :)  

Back