• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What is this on my leaves?

The spots shown in the pictures start kinda greyish and slowly turn to a brown color and finally start creating holes in the leaf. What might be causing this? It has only happened on a couple of plants, but would still be nice to know.

BrownSpots26-22-11.jpg

BrownSpots6-22-11.jpg

Thanks!

Look for green or yellow bugs with black stripes, about 1/2 to 3/4 inch long. They are called four lined bugs. Check here if you find them: four lined bugs

Hmm could be...

PoecilocapsusLineatus050619.jpg

I had one of them eating some leaves this year, the damage looked very similar except he never chewed all the way through the leaves, just left clusters of little black spots. The black spots would probably and fall out leaving holes though, I never saw the leaves again to see and don't remember which plant it was.

Probably either that or flea beetles I think.

I'm 80% sure that it's the four-liners. Their MO is to suck the chlorophyll out of the leafs in perfect little circles like that. In a couple/few days the spots will turn brown or transparent, then leave a hole. Be sure to look on the undersides of the leaves. If no more damage is done, there's nothing to worry about. But, they can be prolific little bastages, moving on to other plants. Neem oil (available almost everywhere, including Lowes) works well on them, but you may need to spray every few days till they are under control.

Back