• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

what is this please

5-22-14-peppers-6-r_zps04957d37.jpg

junglechilie_zps85aa016c.jpg

I posted in the lounge, but this is a better place for ID.

My friend is from Fiji and wants to grow his favorite pepper that grows wild in Fiji. The fruit is between an inch and 2 inch max. He says the make his ears ring with the heat.

Please help me ID.

Also, if you know were I can find these seeds that would be a bonus.

THANK YOU

Since your friend is from Fiji, surely he must still know people there he could contact to send him some of those seeds since they grow wild there.  But as far as identifying them while drunk i'll say they are a thai or tabasco of sorts.

Ok, so you have to take a clue from Hollywood. Get the tiniest ziploc you can find, and then the ziploc that is still tiny but small enough that the other just fits inside it, two of each, and send those to someone you can trust in Fiji. Tell them to wear gloves and put the seeds into the tiniest ziplocs, then take off the gloves, put on fresh gloves, and put the seed-holding ziplocs into the slightly larger ziplocs. Oh, yeah, you need to send them a small teddy bear, too. It has to have button-type eyes that can be removed. The Fijian (?) person needs to remove the eyes, cut a tiny hole where each eye was, and put the rolled-up ziplocs into the bear while wearing fresh gloves. Then, sew the eyes back into place, ensuring that the stitches close up the holes behind the eyes. Mail the teddy bear to your friend here, and you're golden - all the Fijian is mailing is a teddy bear. A little one, at that.  ;)

Anything to feed our heat addiction!

geeme said:
Ok, so you have to take a clue from Hollywood. Get the tiniest ziploc you can find, and then the ziploc that is still tiny but small enough that the other just fits inside it, two of each, and send those to someone you can trust in Fiji. Tell them to wear gloves and put the seeds into the tiniest ziplocs, then take off the gloves, put on fresh gloves, and put the seed-holding ziplocs into the slightly larger ziplocs. Oh, yeah, you need to send them a small teddy bear, too. It has to have button-type eyes that can be removed. The Fijian (?) person needs to remove the eyes, cut a tiny hole where each eye was, and put the rolled-up ziplocs into the bear while wearing fresh gloves. Then, sew the eyes back into place, ensuring that the stitches close up the holes behind the eyes. Mail the teddy bear to your friend here, and you're golden - all the Fijian is mailing is a teddy bear. A little one, at that.  ;)

Anything to feed our heat addiction!

ROFLMAO

I was thinking something along the same lines actually.

Come on Gemee you gotta know what this plant is. HELP
With some help from others and further research it seems that the Birdseye chili is invasive in Fiji. The things grow wild and are concidered by the Fijian Gov as invasive. This seems to be what my friend was talking about.

Thanks guys, but I think I have my answer.

Glad I could brighten your day!

Actually, given that there are literally thousands of varieties of chiles out there, there is no way I could know what every one of them looks like. A site that I've found useful is thechileman.org. If you use the Origin drop-down when searching the database, you'll find Fiji as one of the options, as well as loads of other places. 

Interesting what you found about birdseye in Fiji, btw. 

Edit: C'mon - you KNOW you want to try getting some seeds through inside a teddy bear now! :lol:

Usually the customs people arent so strenuous with seeds leaving the country.  They are more worried about seeds entering the country. 

I have had seeds shipped to me from Thailand no problem, now shipping seeds to Thailand is another story.  lol

Rymerpt said:
junglechilie_zps85aa016c.jpg

I posted in the lounge, but this is a better place for ID.

My friend is from Fiji and wants to grow his favorite pepper that grows wild in Fiji. The fruit is between an inch and 2 inch max. He says the make his ears ring with the heat.

Please help me ID.

Also, if you know were I can find these seeds that would be a bonus.

THANK YOU

Hey that's a picture of my girlfriends plant in Fiji, see my thread in this section about it :)
its called the Junglee Mircha which translates to wind chilis.
I have some seeds germinating at the moment but have had no luck with any sprouting as yet. Ill get more seeds soon.

jungleemircha2_zps75bbb929.jpg

junglechili2_zps33a309e3.jpg
jungleemircha1_zpsadb0afef.jpg

Yes I used the picture that you had in another post. My friend from Fiji says his favorite pepper looks like that. I have had some answers to my question. It seems to be a birds eye that grows wild in Fiji. I have been offered some seeds by a generous THP member. We think it is the same type of pepper. I plan on giving most of the seeds to my friend to grow this year and keeping some for me to grow next year. We think we have solved the mystery. I would be interested to see if your seeds come up. This mystery has been bugging us ever sense my friend told me about the Fiji pepper.

Rymerpt said:
Yes I used the picture that you had in another post. My friend from Fiji says his favorite pepper looks like that. I have had some answers to my question. It seems to be a birds eye that grows wild in Fiji. I have been offered some seeds by a generous THP member. We think it is the same type of pepper. I plan on giving most of the seeds to my friend to grow this year and keeping some for me to grow next year. We think we have solved the mystery. I would be interested to see if your seeds come up. This mystery has been bugging us ever sense my friend told me about the Fiji pepper.

I would be interested to see what you end up with!
Unless it came from fiji I dont think it would be the exact same pepper. 
My girlfriend says her family has used these same peppers for generations, so I think they would have been growing wild over there long enough that they are now substantially different from other species.
The pods are very very small, like half to one inch in size and are mostly used while green.

Back