• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What is this?

This is a TSMB, some of the leaves are chewed but the thing that concerns me is the end of the first pod. Is this being caused by a bug or something? I'd appreciated some feedback, thanks.
Sorry for bad img quality, took the pics quick with my phone.

Pods:

IMG_20120617_152407.jpg

IMG_20120617_152400.jpg

Pics of the whole plant:

IMG_20120617_152425.jpg

IMG_20120617_152528.jpg

IMG_20120617_152535.jpg

And yes, it is wet, its been raining more than ususal here in MN.

Do the stems on those leaves have new growth.. sprouts.... I think It has something to do with the main vain in the leaf and new sprouts... I am a newb and just going on ur pics... my gut tells me dont worry and remove the leaves oh well ... thats without research

I had that on my plants .. removed the leaves and waiting on the results.. I thinks some have super new growth but I didnt take note of which plant was affected ... since the move.. no clue

im fairly new to growing, but recent problems ive had with my plants have forced me to do lots of research. i even got really crazy and joined this forum!

in my research i looked up "end rot"... its a calcium deficiency that causes the bottom end of the fruit to be under developed, leaving a brown spot... that could be whats causing your fruit to have that spot.. the smaller bud there looks all wrinkled up too.. do they all do that? .

the chewed leaves look like some sort of bug.. check your plants at night to see if you can find the culprit. if you cant find the bug, you could try organocide.. or soap solution in water..

I have this on quite a few of my plants as far as the bug marks go. I check them around 3 times a day (once at night) and I never can find what is causing it. It won't hurt you as bad as you think. Peppers are tough, but if you can find the culprit by all means rid of him!

Thanks for the quick replies.

Should I be adding some sort of calcium supplement or just let it go and see what happens? I don't want add anything that can do more harm than good.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Tried to get a better look at the bottom of the larger pod in the picture by gently lifting it with my finger and it just fell off the plant , stem and all.

ugh wish I knew.....

maybe your pods are supposed to do that.. tsmb????? maybe they get dark ..

can anyone help I wanna say wait and see.. his leaves could just be water burned and those pods could be doing what they do.. Separate and wait???????

This may help...

When a pepper’s bottom rots, it can be frustrating to a gardener who has been waiting for several weeks for the peppers to finally ripen. When bottom rot occurs, it is typically caused by pepper blossom end rot. Blossom end rot on peppers is fixable though.
What Is Causing My Peppers To Rot? Pepper Blossom End Rot

Pepper blossom end rot is caused simply by a calcium deficiency in the pepper plant. Calcium is needed by the plant to help form the cell walls of the pepper fruit. If the plant is lacking calcium or if the pepper fruit grow too fast for the plant to supply enough calcium, the bottom of the pepper begins to rot, because the cell walls are literally collapsing.
The calcium deficiency in the plant that causes pepper blossom end rot is commonly caused by one of the following:
  • A lack of calcium in the soil
  • Periods of drought followed by large amounts of water
  • Over watering
  • Excess nitrogen
  • Excess potassium
  • Excess sodium
  • Excess ammonium
How Do You Stop Blossom End Rot On Peppers

To help prevent blossom end rot on peppers, make sure that your pepper plants are receiving even and appropriate water. Pepper plants need about 2-3” of water a week when planted in the ground. To help keep the soil around the peppers evenly moist in between watering, use a mulch to help keep evaporation down.

Another step you can take to avoid pepper blossom end rot is to use a fertilizer that is lower in nitrogen and potassium and is not ammonia based.
You can also try selective thinning of developing fruit over the season to help keep even out the calcium needs of the plant.
You can also try spraying the affected pepper plants down with a water and Epsom salt mixture. This will help some, but pepper plants have a difficult time absorbing the calcium this way.
In the long term, adding eggshells, small amounts of lime, gypsum or bone meal to the soil will help improve the levels of calcium and will help you avoid pepper blossom end rot in the future.

This may help...

When a pepper’s bottom rots, it can be frustrating to a gardener who has been waiting for several weeks for the peppers to finally ripen. When bottom rot occurs, it is typically caused by pepper blossom end rot. Blossom end rot on peppers is fixable though.
What Is Causing My Peppers To Rot? Pepper Blossom End Rot

Pepper blossom end rot is caused simply by a calcium deficiency in the pepper plant. Calcium is needed by the plant to help form the cell walls of the pepper fruit. If the plant is lacking calcium or if the pepper fruit grow too fast for the plant to supply enough calcium, the bottom of the pepper begins to rot, because the cell walls are literally collapsing.
The calcium deficiency in the plant that causes pepper blossom end rot is commonly caused by one of the following:
  • A lack of calcium in the soil
  • Periods of drought followed by large amounts of water
  • Over watering
  • Excess nitrogen
  • Excess potassium
  • Excess sodium
  • Excess ammonium
How Do You Stop Blossom End Rot On Peppers

To help prevent blossom end rot on peppers, make sure that your pepper plants are receiving even and appropriate water. Pepper plants need about 2-3” of water a week when planted in the ground. To help keep the soil around the peppers evenly moist in between watering, use a mulch to help keep evaporation down.

Another step you can take to avoid pepper blossom end rot is to use a fertilizer that is lower in nitrogen and potassium and is not ammonia based.
You can also try selective thinning of developing fruit over the season to help keep even out the calcium needs of the plant.
You can also try spraying the affected pepper plants down with a water and Epsom salt mixture. This will help some, but pepper plants have a difficult time absorbing the calcium this way.
In the long term, adding eggshells, small amounts of lime, gypsum or bone meal to the soil will help improve the levels of calcium and will help you avoid pepper blossom end rot in the future.

CALMAG STUFF????

Back