• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

What is this?

Hi,

I was hoping someone could help me identify this issue. I am worried it may be those mites that cause peppers to fall off before they get the chance to fully grow as i have had a lot of that recently but it's strange as the plant this is on has a decent amount of peppers on it. I did however have the windows etc open the other day. There are several leaves with more than that visible and some with none.

Any help would be appreciated. I do have ladybirds patroling the plant as we speak if that's any help?

IMG-0059.jpg

It's not broad mites.  But something is piercing the leaves.
If that's as bad as it gets, I'm not sure that I'd really do anything, except keep the plant growing strong.  When growing plants, I have a tendency to "pay the tithe", as opposed to trying to grow laboratory perfect specimens.  Not every little bite, bump, or blemish, spells catastrophe.  Just keep an eye on the overall health of the plant, and make sure that there are no obvious infestations.

OK thanks here is a photo of a few of the peppers. I have no idea what kind they are but i think they are looking healthy, this is my 1st year growing so i am a noob lol. 

Tthey didn't start flowering until they were almost 3/4 of a meter tall.

It's strange as you can see one pepper is rather narrow while the rest are about an inch and a half to 2 inches wide at the stem

https://ibb.co/hCW0rdJ

Can't see anything fundamentally wrong with the plant.  Indoors grown plants sometimes exhibit different growth than outdoors plants.  But until you can find something doing that damage, I'm not sure that I'd be too worried.  Just maintain healthy growth.

I have similar dots, and they came from those pesky leaf miner flies that make punctures in the leaves both to feed and to lay eggs. Just one fly often makes several holes during one visit to a plant.

Not sure that's what the cause is  if it's happening indoors, though.

That looks like edema to me. Edema is generally a symptom of overwatering and/or poor air circulation. I would cut back on watering a bit and consider putting a fan on the plant as well. Don't expect the existing bumps on the leaves to go away, but any new growth should look normal once you fix the the underlying issue. 

Hmmm...  That's odd. I could have swore that when I responded, I saw pics with the dots on both sides of the leaf.  Am I going crazy?
If they're just on the underside, then yeah, it's probably edema.  But I swear this post had more pics before.  :crazy:

solid7 said:
Hmmm...  That's odd. I could have swore that when I responded, I saw pics with the dots on both sides of the leaf.  Am I going crazy?
If they're just on the underside, then yeah, it's probably edema.  But I swear this post had more pics before.  :crazy:
post #3 has a link with more pics. 

I think the stuff on top you saw was pollen.

Yeah i have been watering them a bit more than usual as a lot of flowers were turning in to pods but would then dry out and fall off. Is it possible the ladybirds/bugs are not getting enough fluid so are taking killing off my pods as a source of nourishment? I have been losing a lot of pods the last few weeks and it's even on plants only with one or 2 pods on them. I am using Chilli Focus so they are getting a proper feed so i can't understand why they are all dropping off like they are not getting enough nourishment. I have also re-potted using number 3 compost  for the plants that are in full bloom.

Overwatering will cause both fruit and leaf drop. Plants will look wilted, but otherwise green and healthy, but will drop all foliage, until death occurs.
The fact that you mentioned more water than usual, is a clue for me. It's a very common problem for new growers.

Not sure why you'd repot plants in bloom, but you are fiddling, at that point, and possibly "loving" your plants to death. Don't do these things. One nutrient, consistent and as prescribed, and water as needed. Nothing more. Recipe for success

Oh in B&Q there are 3 composts number 1 is for starting out, 2 is for your first repot and 3 when they are starting to bloom. That's what they say on the packs anyway so when they started to show flowers i put them in to the number 3 compost as it said it was specifically for bloom when the plants are hungry for rich nutrients. Was that a wrong move?

Ok my Chilli Focus says to feed once a week should i maybe start holding back to a week and a half?

I don't think the problem is feeding.  As mentioned, it's probably the water.  Wait until they're really dry, and give a light watering.  From that moment on, water less quantity, but with greater frequency.  Don't saturate.  Just give it what it needs to get by for the day, until you really develop a good feel for the watering cycle.
Nutrient cycling for fruit and vegetable plants is a gimmick.  You don't need to do that.  It's arguable that you'll see an actual difference.  Plants use K in the flowering stage, but it's stored in the xylem from the moment that a plant begins growth.  It's held in reserve until it's actually needed. (which happens to be when the plant gives a hormonal trigger to flower - like puberty) So a constant supply is much more beneficial than trying to convince ourselves that we're giving our plants exactly what they need, at the exact moment they need it.  It just doesn't work that way.  As for your question of was that a wrong move... not necessarily a wrong move.  Just not a right one, either.  It was just a move.
All you need to succeed, is a well aerated container mix, that drains well, but holds nutrients, and retains its structure without compacting. (under gravity or from watering)  Make sure it has a suitable growing environment. (temp, sunlight, etc)  If you can do that, you just need to follow a very basic feeding and watering regiment, and the plant will do the rest.

Takanotsume said:
I have similar dots, and they came from those pesky leaf miner flies that make punctures in the leaves both to feed and to lay eggs. Just one fly often makes several holes during one visit to a plant.

Not sure that's what the cause is  if it's happening indoors, though.

BlackFatalii said:
That looks like edema to me. Edema is generally a symptom of overwatering and/or poor air circulation. I would cut back on watering a bit and consider putting a fan on the plant as well. Don't expect the existing bumps on the leaves to go away, but any new growth should look normal once you fix the the underlying issue. 

solid7 said:
I don't think the problem is feeding.  As mentioned, it's probably the water.  Wait until they're really dry, and give a light watering.  From that moment on, water less quantity, but with greater frequency.  Don't saturate.  Just give it what it needs to get by for the day, until you really develop a good feel for the watering cycle.
Nutrient cycling for fruit and vegetable plants is a gimmick.  You don't need to do that.  It's arguable that you'll see an actual difference.  Plants use K in the flowering stage, but it's stored in the xylem from the moment that a plant begins growth.  It's held in reserve until it's actually needed. (which happens to be when the plant gives a hormonal trigger to flower - like puberty) So a constant supply is much more beneficial than trying to convince ourselves that we're giving our plants exactly what they need, at the exact moment they need it.  It just doesn't work that way.  As for your question of was that a wrong move... not necessarily a wrong move.  Just not a right one, either.  It was just a move.
All you need to succeed, is a well aerated container mix, that drains well, but holds nutrients, and retains its structure without compacting. (under gravity or from watering)  Make sure it has a suitable growing environment. (temp, sunlight, etc)  If you can do that, you just need to follow a very basic feeding and watering regiment, and the plant will do the rest.

OK i took some advice and decided to put a fan on in the area to create some air circulation but after 40mins i came back to a pod that was in decent growth on the floor and then i saw this in the photos..

https://ibb.co/02yXNsF
https://ibb.co/02yC4mx
https://ibb.co/LRTL6Cg
https://ibb.co/9YYphxX

As you can see there are 2 black things on one of the badly affected leaves. I took them off with a paper towel. Are those those minor mites or am i suffering both Edema and now some other form of infection? You can see the underside of that leaf looks a lot worse than before and i have been letting the compost dry out. If this is indeed mites would it be a good idea to cut off the infected leaves?

I really can't make out what the pest-y looking thing is.  But you definitely have some edema going on.  And yes, that pod most certainly fell off due to the overwatering.
Overwatering is your definitive problem.  Get that sorted, while keeping an eye on the pest situation.  Try not to be too reactive or proactive on new issues...

The problem with compost in pots - and I say this all the time - is that it really holds onto moisture.  Not all compost is created equally, but MOST compost is water-retentive.  I normally won't ever use, or recommend, more than 5% total volume of compost in a container mix.  The exception being a late season top dressing.
You really just need to get the plant dry right now.  There's not much else you can do.  If it gets much worse, and it doesn't dry fast enough, the emergency course of action is to re-pot in a better mix, bigger pot. ( and not water right away )

OK thanks. Can you suggest a better thing to use than compost?

Oh and i just found and removed a house fly that was sitting on one of my other plants so possibly that was what was laying the eggs?

Should i put the fan back on to help try dry the plant again?  Or would the cold air be bad for it just now as there is no sun today and it's not very warm.

The problem with being in Scotland and i am so angry  because last year we had an amazing summer beating temperatures in places like Spain but this year we have been going from a day or 2 of lovely hot days then cold like winter cold, for like a week!. It's crazy!

A peat based mix.  You guys should have plenty of peat available in Scotland. (if it isn't all going into a whiskey barrel)
Don't worry about the housefly.  Keep the fan on.  You must have air circulation.
I was in Spain 2 weeks ago.  What a great place that would be to grow peppers.

Yeah i really like Spain and the surrounding  islands. It's been a while since i was there but yeah last summer we were getting days hotter than Spain, IBIZA, Greece i believe and a number of other European countries known for their lovely hot climate and nice sunny days. This year has just been the opposite, a few days here and there really hot and then grey dull cold for a week+ . We often get great Easter weather and then summer comes and it's rubbish except for the odd year here and there like last year.

Back