• Do you need help identifying a 🌢?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🀧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

favorite What is your favorite smoky pepper that is not smoked?!😳

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Fresh or dried but not smoked. Perhaps you find an ancho smoky.

I'll go first. Jamaican Hot Chocolate. I've only had it dried as powder but it has this really cool smoky profile.

If you answer, make sure your specify if it is fresh or dried. Go!

Fresh or dried but not smoked. Perhaps you find an ancho smoky.

I'll go first. Jamaican Hot Chocolate. I've only had it dried as powder but it has this really cool smoky profile.

If you answer, make sure your specify if it is fresh or dried. Go!

I've got a chiltepin from N Mexico - Sonora or Sinaloa, don't remember - that has a very good smoky profile when dried. My favourite. Berrypods dry on the plant.

Ethiopian brown/Berbere pepper/Mareko Fana or whaterver they can be called to me fresh they have a little but still noticeable smoky backbone that gets amplified once dry. One of my favorite C. annuum!

Last edited:
Interesting question that makes me ruminate a bit. So my answers are a little OT and bassackwards but I've never had a smoky pepper that I like and have never had a smoked pepper (except chipotle and arbol) to like or dislike. Ghost peppers always taste smoky to me, whether fresh or dried. I don't like them either way and I always thought it's because they taste smoky. Go figure.

I have a small seal a meal brick of smoked serrano someone gave me some time ago. I guess I should open that and try some. OK, I got that out of my system now :)

Last edited:
I've never had a smoky pepper that I like and have never had a smoked pepper (except chipotle and arbol) to like or dislike.
Arbol are not smoked but they are smoky, so perhaps you did like one? πŸ˜‰

Reactions: DWB
Back