What is your most useful garden tool?

Yes a shovel, a cultivator, Felco pruners and many others are very useful and necessary for most of us but this chipper/shredder is what I can't live without since I picked it up used on Craigslist for $100. My compost is broken down so much faster since I started using this and with all the yard trimmings I have each year it has become a "can't do without it" tool.

i need me one of those. i've been eyeballing the troybilt chipper for some time now. i need to start watching craigslist.

can't count the number of times i needed a chipper/shredder, i still have large branches i am sawing up by hand. that is a nice size machine and as long as you feed it small bie size pieces, i bet it will last a long time.

the little tool i have, that is now dull, is an "L" shaped hand tool, sharp on one side. i use it to drag along my patio stones as grass and weeds shoot up. i already laid weed plastic under the stones but to quack grass that doesn't matter, it penetrates rock.

good snag.

I was happy I found this one as I wanted an electric one and most electrics are so underpowered that they are only good for small twigs and leaves.
This one has a 1.5 hp electric motor that is about 8" in diameter. It will take a 1/2" diameter branch in the top section and a 1-1/4" in the chipper part sticking out the front.
You do have to feed it slow though as the entrance to the hammers is a little small but it still does a great job. It destroys everything it comes into contact with.
I think Patriot makes a good electric that is like this one but a little better but they are expensive! Here is one on Amazon. Ouch! :shocked:
http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Products-CSV-2515-Electric-Shredder/dp/B001KMZK3E

The old car floor mat I lay on when harvesting is valuable to me. Family found out last year when it disappeared during a tidy-up session. Oh I found it and made clear that my garden supply area is "With permission only" :rofl:

A LOT of signs in my pots that say "UNSAFE TO EAT,TREATED WITH A SYSTEMIC
POISON!"
Keeps people from stealing my peppers/sometimes.

When asked about my signs I tell them IF they don't mind growing a third eye or getting Cancer EAT/steal my pods...
I tell them my plants are for seed only.working on GMO type stuff.

I tell them that the Systemic collects and makes stuff like super hots hotter,but it comes at a price-see above.
Might make your balls rot or her boobs shrink too...If you get hiccups or stomache cramps you better go see a doctor quick....maybe a proctologist too. LOL

My garden is in a public place.
I get 1 out of every 30 pods if that without my signs.

Scoville DeVille said:
My tool of choice is definitely a Ho.
I like ho'in in the morning and ho'in at night.
I like to ho in pants and in shorts.
when it's raining, and when the sun is out.
I will Ho for money, or for free.
When I am ho'in, it makes me feel free.
when dealing with this a very strong pimp hand comes in handy.

The best tool for my garden is actually a pair of gloves.

But not just any gloves.  A pair of leather roping gloves with a precise fit and wrist closure.  When you are really wanting to get work done having a glove that essentially becomes a second-skin without any play or bunching makes everything so much easier to do.  The wrist closure keeps out most of the dirt and any leaves or sticks if you are working with rubbish.  A good, tight fit also allows you to have near bare handed dexterity when working with other tools or doing things like weeding or tying knots in twine.

My wife got me one of those hoses on TV that shrink down when not in use. It is about 12 or 15 feet long when water is on but is about 4 feet long when water is off. It weighs next to nothing and has incredibly low water pressure, making it ideal for watering my pepper containers.

ms1476 said:
My wife got me one of those hoses on TV that shrink down when not in use. It is about 12 or 15 feet long when water is on but is about 4 feet long when water is off. It weighs next to nothing and has incredibly low water pressure, making it ideal for watering my pepper containers.
I was thinking about getting one of those, but I just know my wife would turn it off while I was watering the garden and it would snap me back across the yard.  :rolleyes:

ms1476 said:
Those hoses go against what I have known all my life. Cold water shrinks hoses.

:silenced:

Threehundredc said:
i get alot of use out of my Spoon  for scooping the seedlings out of there narrow container

Have you ever seen a "widger", nice little tools meant for this purpose with a narrow end for pricking out seedlings and a wide one for making their new hole for transplanting.

I'd have to say my most useful tool in the garden is my book collection, specifically "botany for gardeners" by Brian Capon as it's helped me understand the what/how of plants.

Back