• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fertilizer what kind of fertilizer?

Well I have been using miracle grow fert....ooops that is at 24% nitrogen. This seems probaly way to high. What kind of fert should i use or should i kepp using this like once a month i dunno.

kylestl said:
Well I have been using miracle grow fert....ooops that is at 24% nitrogen. This seems probaly way to high. What kind of fert should i use or should i kepp using this like once a month i dunno.

chili focus på growth technology is great and the dosage is the easiest there is to follow

With my dorsets suffering a lot of flower drop i stumbled upon a great recipe. It seems to really encourage healthy growth, smells like death but works great.

5 Heaped tablespoons of Blood and Bone type fertilizer
3 " " of Potash
1 once of epsom salts
40 mls of Fish Emulsion
1 drop of Superthrive
30ml Seasol (sorry forgot)
Mix this with 1 1/2 Gallons of water and i use every fourth watering. It really does stink if left for more than a day though.

Try the MG tomato or bloom booster fert for lower N and flowering support with the same ease of use.
And availability.

kylestl said:

If they are young plants (< 3 months) it doesnt matter how much N they get, it's actually a good idea to give them lots of N during the early stages because they are not going to produce fruit anyway.

I alwayse start with more N, then as they get ready to fruit I switch over to Tomato food which is higher in the 0-X-X area.

I also give them some Bloom Booster when I want full fruit set which is like 15-30-15 and is like friggen steroids for Chilis!

I normally use organic fertilizer. Espoma has some good ones. I also have used fish emulsion and earthworm castings. The results where very good.

Kevin

Fox Farm Grow Big for the vegetative stage...

Makes you plants look like this:

IMG_3275.jpg

lol; I do like it though. Seems to make them very green...it is rated 6-4-4 with trace elements and derived from organics such as earthworm castings and Norwegian kelp. I think that the kelp is partially responsible for the greening. Sorry for the walking advertisement but I really have had great results with this stuff. Just be careful to use it in moderation on seedlings and young plants...I use half of the mfgr.'s recommended dosage.

:cool:

PeteyPepper said:
Fox Farm Grow Big for the vegetative stage...

Makes you plants look like this:

lol; I do like it though. Seems to make them very green...it is rated 6-4-4 with trace elements and derived from organics such as earthworm castings and Norwegian kelp. I think that the kelp is partially responsible for the greening. Sorry for the walking advertisement but I really have had great results with this stuff. Just be careful to use it in moderation on seedlings and young plants...I use half of the mfgr.'s recommended dosage.

:cool:

PP,
That is good to hear and see. I decided to give Fox Farm a try as well. Right now I am giving them Big Bloom. Friday they will get a shot of the Grow Big. Hopefully I will see results as good as yours.

These Fox Farm nutes you speak of are liquid I take it, and not granular? All I can find around here are the granular forms. Damn lack of nursery selection!

FiveStar said:
These Fox Farm nutes you speak of are liquid I take it, and not granular? All I can find around here are the granular forms. Damn lack of nursery selection!

Yea they are liquid. Try a hydro store. That is where I got mine.

Haven't tried one of those yet. In my neck of the woods, one must be careful about frequenting the hydro store. There are rumors of cameras and admonitions against not purchasing with credit/debit cards.

Lots of good Ganja is grown here in the NC mountains, and much of the supplies purchased at said Hydro shops.

However, I'm savy with the ATM and know hot to make it give me cash!

klorentz said:
Wow that's a great looking pepper plant! And people say organic don't work.

Kevin

Well I'm about to find out. This year my wife and I decided the entire gardem is going to be organic. Right now for my Peppers the soil is a mix of potting soil mixed with fresh worm castings. My daughter has started a large worm farm so my liquid fertilizer is going to be fresh brewed aireated worm tea.

Dyce51 said:
Well I'm about to find out. This year my wife and I decided the entire gardem is going to be organic. Right now for my Peppers the soil is a mix of potting soil mixed with fresh worm castings. My daughter has started a large worm farm so my liquid fertilizer is going to be fresh brewed aireated worm tea.

An excellent start in organic gardening. I used earthworm castings and fish emulsion last year and the results where great. You should have some great peppers this year.

Kevin

I use Neptune's Harvest 2-4-1 on seedlings that have been potted on, so I know exactly what they are getting.
I use home grown worm castings, homemade fish emulsion, etc., as needed, on plants in the garden.

~DiggingDog

DiggingDogFarm said:
I use Neptune's Harvest 2-4-1 on seedlings that have been potted on, so I know exactly what they are getting.
I use home grown worm castings, homemade fish emulsion, etc., as needed, on plants in the garden.

~DiggingDog

Sounds good.Bet you get some great results with that.

Kevin

klorentz said:
An excellent start in organic gardening. I used earthworm castings and fish emulsion last year and the results where great. You should have some great peppers this year.

Kevin
Thats what I'm hopeing for!! I'm in the process of putting together a brewer for the "worm tea" now.

DiggingDogFarm said:

~DiggingDog

All my plants are generally for my own use and consumption. Next year that will be different but this year is just for me..lol

Novacastrian said:
With my dorsets suffering a lot of flower drop i stumbled upon a great recipe. It seems to really encourage healthy growth, smells like death but works great.

5 Heaped tablespoons of Blood and Bone type fertilizer
3 " " of Potash
1 once of epsom salts
40 mls of Fish Emulsion
1 drop of Superthrive

Mix this with 1 1/2 Gallons of water and i use every fourth watering. It really does stink if left for more than a day though.

Spot on Nova this is a great recipe and one that I use very closely is really succesful as well.

Back