What kind of mites are these?

mite1.png
mite2.png

Could these be mould mites ? or grain mites ?
I found these on a few pots. I haven't seen any on the plant or leaves, they seem to hang on the soil or on the pot. Plants do not seem affected so far.

Its hard to tell for sure since the pic gets blurry when I zoom on it. I'm betting they are aphids. Whatever they are destroy them fast!!! FYI The mites I've seen are barely visable to the naked eye. They are about the size of a decimal point on a piece of paper. Both mites and aphids are harmful to plants but the mites are worse.

megahot said:
Its hard to tell for sure since the pic gets blurry when I zoom on it. I'm betting they are aphids. Whatever they are destroy them fast!!!

Full res pictures:
http://gnome.eu.org/sebastian/var/albums/chili/IMG_1951.JPG?m=1376316780
http://gnome.eu.org/sebastian/var/albums/chili/IMG_1952.JPG?m=1376316841

They move far too fast for aphids. And seem pretty small too. Those are tiny pots (1L or so)
If they weren't moving that fast, I wouldn't be able to spot them.
And it's pretty uncommon to locate them on the pot, rather on or underneath the leaves.

The problem is that aphids go through several development stages, including having wings and flying, so you can't entirely eliminate aphids at this point. I just googled "predatory mites" and got a ton of pics - none of which appear white.

Today, I managed to film them.

They're everywhere and they seem to multiply fast.
Neem oil seems to reduce them, but they're still coming back.
How should I kill those ? Sinking ?

If they are doing no damage to your plants is it possible that they are a beneficial insect. And could be keeping something else at bay? They must be eating something, especially since they are getting more prolific. I made the mistake of using a systemic poison last season and when it wore off my plants were decimated by broad mites. And they suck quite a lot, lesson learned. Sinking is worth a go, looks like they are up under the lip of the pot as well eh. Good luck.

Back