• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What kind of pepper would I like?

I've tried a few peppers over the past few months, and i mostly enjoy dried carolina reapers. I'm not sure what kind of 7 pot chocolate got, but it was really musky and tasted bitter, so im not really a fan of those, and when i put them in my food i can just smell the musky odor coming from the peppers in my food. Any kind that you guys think i might like? the 7 pot mustards i got were pretty good, but had that musky odor again, but not quite as bad as the chocolates i got. I plan on ordering some fresh pods sometime this year when i get a couple bucks laying around that don't have to go to my animals.

If you like the flavor of reapers...Scorpions have a very fruity flavor to them, I'd recommend Morugas...especially yellow ones.

I noticed that every variety you cited is a Capsicum chinense. My own personal taste experiences are minimal, but i gather that other species have many more nuances of flavor -- most notably C. baccatum and C. pubescens... and wild species (admittedly, you may have to grow some of these yourself, but some ought to be available from growers).

Within the C. chinense species, there are 'wild' chinenses, such as CAP 691, Cumari do Para, etc. There are also distinctive types such as Aribibi Gusano (Bolivia) and Caribean peppers (ie.: Trinidad Small Hot Cherry, MoA Scotch Bonnet, Bahamian Goat).

All the examples given are types that i watched Nigel review... as i said, i haven't tried them (yet). None of them are superhots, but they are distinctive... and they all have respectable levels of heat, apparently.

If you want superhot levels of heat, Georgej reviewed the White 7-Pot recently, and reported a very fruit/citrus-type flavor to the pod. His facial complection was distinctly redder after ingestion, so i think they are quite hot.

All of these are suggestions from a guy who's never tried any of these...

muskymojo said:
I would buy a mixed box of pods with a good variety and go from there.
Probably the best suggestion here. Communicate your needs to the vendor before ordering, if possible.

Some time, if you've never had one, you have to try a Fatalli. They are probably my favorite pepper of all. They arent as hot as the reapers but I thought I'd mention it.
I'd also try a Yellow 7 pot.

Fataliis are great peppers definitely.  Not terribly hot in the grand scheme of things but pack a mean frontal punch...and delicious.  They're normally really great producers as well and easy to overwinter.

I have yet to try a Chocolate I've cared for, they all taste bitter to me. 

Reaper is good, I second Bahamian Goat peppers. 7 pot yellows really good. Lesser heat wise I really enjoyed bolsa de dulche 

Back